• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hypermodern vs. modern Spanish cuisines

Chef Andres,

Your work in popularizing both avant garde and Spanish cuisine in the US has been exemplary.

In that vein, which style of cooking is more "you," that of El Bulli/Minibar or the types of recipes included in your cookbook and at your other restaurants?

Are they mutually exclusive in your mind?

Chef Andres,

Your work in popularizing both avant garde and Spanish cuisine in the US has been exemplary.

In that vein, which style of cooking is more "you," that of El Bulli/Minibar or the types of recipes included in your cookbook and at your other restaurants?

Are they mutually exclusive in your mind?

Thank you my friend. I work very hard to promote Spain in America.

I don't like labels. I think you can do a little bit of everything. Sometimes minibar, sometimes callos, sometimes watermelon tomato skewer..... To me the problem with label is like they put you in a little box and that is it. This guy does traditional. This guy does molecular gastronomy. That guy does barbecue.......

Ultimately I am me. Nothing more. What I do reflects what I am interested in. What moves me. Obviously, you reflect your influences and where you come from and where you have been and who you have worked with. You are a mirror in some ways. But ultimately you are you.

You have your integrity. You have to honor your own vision. You have to do your best. You do that you will always be successful whatever you do. in the kitchen or in life

Ultimately I am me. Nothing more. What I do reflects what I am interested in. What moves me. Obviously, you reflect your influences and where you come from and where you have been and who you have worked with. You are a mirror in some ways. But ultimately you are you.

You have your integrity. You have to honor your own vision. You have to do your best. You do that you will always be successful whatever you do. in the kitchen or in life

Hola JR

Regarding your vision and your work. Which are your signature dishes? Do you think that any of them will survive in the future? Or is there a technique developed by you that will go through the boundaries of alta cocina to the popular cooking?

Gracias por compartir tu tiempo con nosotros.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"