• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Managing a Diverse Career

Chef,

I am continually impressed by your many accomplishments and your skill in successfully wearing many hats; beyond merely being a chef, you are a businessman, author, televison host, and intentionally or not, widely considered an ambassador for Spanish cuisine here in the US. I also find it fascinating that your projects run such a wide range, from 'low' end to high end, from the artisanal to the hyper modern. And in an age where the 'celebrity chef' is certainly not a foreign concept, you seem to be one of the few who is able to diversify and democratize cuisine truly on his or her own terms, without losing control, or, dare I say, the appearance of pandering to some lowest common denominator.

I'm not sure exactly what my question is or how to phrase it, but I would love to read your thoughts on how you approach all of these facets of your career and how you see them complimenting each other. And I would also be interested in learning how you do keep it all together; beyond surrounding yourself with capable and talented collaborators, what are the key factors in actually managing everything from devising and opening new concepts, intense research and development, and the overall PR juggernaut? While the word 'branding' is often casually tossed around, and not always in a positive way, do you feel you approach your projects and make decisions based on the 'Jose Andres' brand?

At a time when a chef has evermore opportunities and many examples to either follow or avoid, I appreciate and thank you in advance for any insight you could share on such an admittedly broad and vague topic!

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

Chef,

I am continually impressed by your many accomplishments and your skill in successfully wearing many hats; beyond merely being a chef,  you are a businessman, author, televison host, and intentionally or not, widely considered an ambassador for Spanish cuisine here in the US. I also find it fascinating that your projects run such a wide range, from 'low' end to high end, from the artisanal to the hyper modern. And in an age where the 'celebrity chef' is certainly not a foreign concept, you seem to be one of the few who is able to diversify and democratize cuisine truly on his or her own terms, without losing control, or, dare I say, the appearance of pandering to some lowest common denominator.

I'm not sure exactly what my question is or how to phrase it, but I would love to read your thoughts on how you approach all of these facets of your career and how you see them complimenting each other. And I would also be interested in learning how you do keep it all together; beyond surrounding yourself with capable and talented collaborators, what are the key factors in actually managing everything from devising and opening new concepts, intense research and development, and the overall PR juggernaut? While the word 'branding' is often casually tossed around, and not always in a positive way, do you feel you approach your projects and make decisions based on the 'Jose Andres' brand?

At a time when a chef has evermore opportunities and many examples to either follow or avoid, I appreciate and thank you in advance for any insight you could share on such an admittedly broad and vague topic!

well I always do what interest me......sometimes it is a project about love like bring the iberico to United States other times it is about creativity like minibar where i wanted to express myself my ideas to work with no limits on what we can do......nothing is possible without my team guys who being with me for years like Ruben Garica and Katsuya Fukushima....my advice would be to do what interest you because you need to have that fire, do what is fun because work should also be a fun thing not just work and get yourself a good team because without them is not possible