• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Evolving tastes

Thank you for entertaining our questions, Chef Andres.

Have you noticed if the tastes of visitors to your restaurants have evolved in the last 10 or so years?

Are you able to serve some dishes now with more success than you could have ten years ago? Any examples to share?

Are there items on the menu that still meet some resistance or that people are recluctant to order?

(I guess that we can exclude the Minibar from this consideration as I suppose most guests would be very adventurous and open to new food experiences.)

Thank you in advance,

ludja

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thank you for entertaining our questions, Chef Andres.

Have you noticed if the tastes of visitors to your restaurants have evolved in the last 10  or so years?

Are you able to serve some dishes now with more success than you could have ten years ago?  Any examples to share?

Are there items on the menu that still meet some resistance or that people are recluctant to order?

(I guess that we can exclude the Minibar from this consideration as I suppose most guests would be very adventurous and open to new food experiences.)

Thank you in advance,

ludja

when we opened Jaleo many years ago I took the decision to do authentic Spanish food even if that meant some things were not going to be popular right away.......it is easy to change what you to do to suit the palate of others but I think this is a mistake......if is good people will like it and buy it.....in terms of Spanish cooking Clemente Bocos taught me when I was a young cook to have faith and not americanize it......I find people are pretty open to trying things after all is a tapa not a huge entre

of course there are people who will not eat something weird no matter what but what is weird? weird is only what you don't know! To someone else is home cooking!