• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salvatore Calabrese / Classic Cocktails 2006 ed.

kvltrede

Anyone seen the new edition of Salvatore Calabrese's Classic Cocktails? It came out earlier this year and is currently available for $7 at Amazon. I've heard good things about the 1997 ed. so it's been on my list of books to pick up (eventually) for some time. It appears that this is simply a reissue rather than an update but I haven't seen anything definitive. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

I have an earlier edition.

It's a good book. It has lots of great pictures and reproductions of cocktail related advertisements, cartoons, photographs and art.

From what I can gather on Webtender and the drinkboy forums, Calabrese is held in very high esteem, especially by European bartenders. My impression is he was one of the original proponents of the very dry martini (mere drops of vermouth). It has a modest section of classic cocktails with most of the essentials. Nothing particularly surprising. Good instructions though, and many are represented with photographs showing the appropriate glassware and very nice garnishes. My only disappointment is there aren't more cocktails in the section of his original cocktails. I think there are only 8 or 10.

Certainly a worthwhile addition to any cocktail library.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

...From what I can gather on Webtender and the drinkboy forums, Calabrese is held in very high esteem, especially by European bartenders....

That's my impression too, Erik, and, apparently it's also Mr. Calabrese's: "The bartender is an artist - think of me as Michelangelo...I'm an amazingly knowledgeable person, you know...."

...My impression is he was one of the original proponents of the very dry martini (mere drops of vermouth)....

Hmm. As a fan of Martinis made at or around 5:1 I'll try not to hold that against him. He's an amazingly knowledgeable person, you know. :biggrin: Then again, anyone getting over $20 US for a cocktail certainly knows something I don't.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

kvltrede:

The article you linked to is entitled "Salvatore at Fifty", yet further into the article it states that he has spent 39 years in the industry.

Please don't tell me he doesn't count watching his uncle making limoncello when he was 11 as the day he knew that he wanted to work in a bar. :biggrin:

sigh...

Twice in one day, George, keeping me honest.

I do think it is a worthwhile purchase, especially for $7 US, if just for the pictures and whatever history might be gleaned by an educated reader.

For my last comment, I was going to phrase it, "Certainly a worthwhile, if not essential, addition to a cocktail library."

Then, for some reason, I took the "if not essential" part out.

Call me a coward.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Calabrese sticks with the old rumours about cocktail history, he isn't really cutting edge like Wondrich or Haigh; but with 9 books and oddles of cash, he doesn't need to be.

I do recommend the other "Classic:" books, i.e. Classic Vodka, Classic Gin, especially for noobs.

kvltrede:

The article you linked to is entitled "Salvatore at Fifty", yet further into the article it states that he has spent 39 years in the industry.

Please don't tell me he doesn't count watching his uncle making limoncello when he was 11 as the day he knew that he wanted to work in a bar.  :biggrin:

Umm..."Salvatore at Fifty" refers to the name of the bar, which is "Fifty". Not named for Salvatore's age but rather the street address of the bar: 50 St James Street.

myers

I saw Classic Cocktails at a bookstore today.

As far as I can tell, the only change from the original printing is the cover.

Thanks for the info on the reprint, Erik. I didn't get the feeling it was a new ed. but what I found online wasn't really clear either way.

I find it curious, though, that the publisher wouldn't ask or insist that Calabrese give the book at least a minor tweaking and a new forward. The first ed. is nine years old. I can't imagine that Calabrese didn't find one error or hasn't modified one recipe. Also, wouldn't a 2nd ed. would be an easier sell than a reprint? I suppose that's why it's being offered at a bargain price....

Kurt

The Handy Snake

Here is a quote confirming my worst fears! :biggrin:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...20/ai_n15851433

"Salvatore Calabrese 50, was born in Maiori, Italy, where his bartending career began at the age of 11. He moved to London in 1980, where he presided over The Library Bar at the Lanesborough, before launching Salvatore at Fifty (which he co-owns). He is widely regarded as one of the world's best barmen."

So I guess Salvatore is 51 now, compared to DeGroff, who must be 58.

Edited by ThinkingBartender (log)