• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In walking distance from 47th and 8th

Daniel

I have a business dinner on Thursday.. My business associate is staying at the Edison on 47th btwn Broad and 8th.. We are friendly so it doesnt have to be stuffy but, I want the food to be better then good.. Dont want to hurt the rep here, half the reason we meet in NYC is for me to choose a restaurant.. :raz:

He wants Sushi or Japanese.. I was thinking Yakitori Totto in a private booth.. The experience would make up for not being ultra high quality..The obvious choice is the place in the W. But I went when it first opened and its a little too sceney for my liking.. Any other real interesting place or great quality in the area..

Well you and me both would choose Totto - you know that. The food there is showstopping. I've had a business meeting at the counter there, but the service is so snappy there that I don't know that there is a food advantage to sitting at the counter. It's not as if they're gonna make you a larger tsukune just becasue chatting up the chef...

The place in the W you mean Shimizu? I STILL havent been there but have heard great things.

Haven't been in a couple years but there is a Sushiden @ 6th.

Sushiden Sixth Ave

123 W 49TH St

New York, NY 10020-1101View Map

(212) 398-2800

That place is very good, very very authentic, very nice decor, just doesn't get attention on here.

Sugiyama has less expensive set menus so that you don't have to break the bank to go there.

Had to be the west side, didn't it! I dont' know why but the Japanese are just allergic to the west side....

Edited by raji (log)

Raji I was talking about Blue Fin and wont go back there.. I also have heard good things about Shimizu.. Its in some other hotel.. Like the Washington Jefferson Hotel or something like that.. Sushiden is now my other option.. Thank you..

Edit to add: Eh, either 100 bucks a person with me paying, or like 30 bucks a person, wear jeans, and take a guy from out of town up a flight of stairs into a totally surprising world.. I gotta go with Totto.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

Its in some other hotel.. Like the Washington Jefferson Hotel or something like that.. Sushiden is now my other option.. Thank you..

Yeah, and that hotel has a big "WJ" on it's awning so I thouht you meant there....

maybe you and I need to invade shimizu finally, because 2 years later I still haven't had an excuse to go theree....

Went to Totto, they hated it.. One person said, nice experience, but I wouldnt go back.. Ugh, well I tried.. Next time I go with the predictable and expensive.. You cant win them all..

I called two days before and asked for a reservation,.. They said they dont do reservations.. I pushed and said I am friends with the manager and that he told me to tell anyone that wouldnt give me a reservation, that he said its OK.. Meanwhile, I have no idea who the manager is.. She gave me a table for four..

I think lying to the reservations clerk sucks. I really don't think people should do that.

Is the guy you met with a foodie? I think we often make the mistake of assuming that everyone is as adventurous as we are. Just because a place is great -- and Totto is certainly that -- doesn't mean I'd expect everyone I know to appreciate it.

I think lying to the reservations clerk sucks.  I really don't think people should do that.

Is the guy you met with a foodie?  I think we often make the mistake of assuming that everyone is as adventurous as we are.  Just because a place is great -- and Totto is certainly that -- doesn't mean I'd expect everyone I know to appreciate it.

You think lying to the reservation clerk sucks? Are you serious.. I think a reservation clerk that wont give you a reservation because you arent, Japanese, sucks.

Edited by Daniel (log)

do they have a non-japanese bias on the phone or once you're inside as well? I never heard of the place until this forum started and I ate there wednesday night. short wait for a table and the service didn't seem off as just generally overwhelmed, two waitresses in a packed room can only do so much and they were very nice about our wait to order. also I'd say half the people eating there were not japanese.

Just so you know, I'm Japanese, I know one of the managers, and they still don't take reservations. I believe their policy is to take reservations until 7pm, and then it's the waiting game. It seems your assumptions are on the wrong track.

I am talking about reservations before 7.. In the 530 to 630 range.. And they did give me a reservation after they first told me they wouldnt..As well as having Japanese speaking co-workers make reservations for me when I have been unable to..

Edited by Daniel (log)

yeah, I don't really find it much of a strech that they may favor Japanese clientele :hmmm:

I made a reservation a week in advance, and I was seated at the bar...

But if I opened an American restaurant in another country, I'd favor American customers too. It would add an air of authenticity.

sucks, yes.

Also, I think fleecing reservationists is wrong (but only if you want to go back to that place again) :raz:

Really, when I'm out of town I'll lie, lie, lie for a reservation.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Yeah I know the manager shared between Totto and Aburiya Kinnosuke, but I don't invoke his name when making a reservation. They're pretty consistent Japanese or not, they take these early reservations 5/5:30 for the first round, and then after 7 you put your name and phone # down and either wait online or outside. Japanese clientele don't really have an advantage, and it's been a while since they've been the majority anyways. Also, sitting at the bar is considered as good as or better than a table. If I'm a party of 2 I usually prefer the bar... Over the phone you are dealing with someone whose second language is English, so it's pretty limited compared to their Japanese.