• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot towels

Fat Guy

Every time I dine at a Japanese restaurant I'm reminded of my belief that every restaurant should provide hot towels before, during, and after a meal. Hot towels are so great. I love them so much. Why haven't Western restaurants picked up on this?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I agree entirely. I suppose it's just regarded as not part of the culinary culture of the west.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

A hot towel is part of the silly ritual of first/business class airline meals. It might be welcome if the towels weren't infused with nasty chemical lemon scent.

Flight attendants always seem so surprised when someone says no, thanks.

It would be unfortunate, for me, if hot towels were introduced into French restaurants. First, some diners use hot towels to wipe their face as well as their hands. In the case of women with make-up (myself included), the facial area is not included in the area potentially covered by the hot towel. Second, if the hot towel is utilized for purposes of making sure the diner's hands are clean, a diner should attend to that himself. Third, if the purpose is to refresh, the temperature would be distracting and might even if unhelpful if the diner soon picks up the stem of a champagne glass or other glass for his aperatif. Fourth, providing hot towels would add to the workload of the dining room team, because it would be inappropriate for the towels, once used, to be left sitting on the table. :wink:

It would be unfortunate, for me, if hot towels were introduced into French restaurants.

Italian restaurants would be okay, then?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Italian restaurants would be okay, then?

Steven -- Well, the introduction of hot towels at Italian restaurants wouldn't meaningfully affect me. :laugh:

are you suggesting that you eat only at french restaurants?

and i'm confused why this would be a problem for you or your make-up. if you chose not to use the towel, than how would it be problematic?

would you considering discussing this a bit more?

are you suggesting that you eat only at french restaurants?

and i'm confused why this would be a problem for you or your make-up.  if you chose not to use the towel, than how would it be problematic?

tommy -- Most of the restaurants I care more about are French, in cuisine style or inspiration if not actually located in France. I do not eat frequently at Italian restaurants, whether in the US or on my travels (as I choose to travel to France much of the time). I was attempting to limit my views to the restaurants that I care most about.

On the makeup point, I was seeking to articulate that women who wear make-up would not benefit from applying the hot towel to their face area. Thus, fewer diners than the entire dining population are likely to choose to use hot towels, recognizing that women with make-up might nonetheless use hot towels on their hands. :wink:

I think that wiping the face or back of the neck with oshibori is a bit much.

:blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I can't say I've ever seen a Japanese person use a hot towel on his or her face. The only people left out of proper usage are those with no hands.

I sometimes use them on my feet, though. :unsure:

Another classy (and practical) touch lost to the ages: finger bowls afterwards.

In the poorer and less-frequented areas of Mexico (not Mexico City or the resort areas, that is) there is frequently a sink right next to the front entrance, so that the patrons of the establishment may wash the dirt and God knows what else from themselves before even sitting down. . . .

Ah, hot towels. One of many, many things I loved about the restaurants in Japan - along with beautiful food, wonderful service, seasonal delicacies, and last-but-not-least: no tipping! So civilized.

When my brother and I were young we always had warm washcloths at the dinner table. We considered paper napkins to be barbaric. In fact, my 40 year old brother still insists on a washcloth when eating at home.

Baby wipes.  Like I said before, call them adult wipes and we'd be using them day and night.  They're fantastic.

I use baby wipes all the time, for everything.

And in particular, they make toilet paper seem, er, quite primitive.

One of my favorite lunch restaurants has adopted an on-site shower stall.

The stall is in kind of a conspicous area and every half hour or so, one of the servers will strip down and partake of a shower. I try not to spill anything on my shirt because I'd be a little embarassed washing up with everyone looking.

PS order whipped cream SOS just in case

In the kosher Indian restaurants I've been to in the East 20s, there are sinks in the dining room where you can wash your hands and make the proper blessing before you eat. How these are different from the sinks in the bathroom, I'm not sure.

A hot towel is part of the silly ritual of first/business class airline meals.  It might be welcome if the towels weren't infused with nasty chemical lemon scent.

Flight attendants always seem so surprised when someone says no, thanks.

Why is it silly ? :wink: I do not t hink they are scented. I used it twice yesterday, on both segments, and in past many segments - none had a scent - Not that other airlines do not relfain from artificial scents. BTW, many airlines offer these towels in all classes on the international-segments.

anil