• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zaukkushi on 4th

LordBalthazar

Amid the proliferating izakaya joints and Japanese tapas restaurants in Vancouver, Zakkushi stands out. A tiny place just above Burrard (a couple of doors down from Videomatica), the restaurants seats about 25 max - and it's a tight squeeze at that. But don't let that put you off. Grab a seat at the bar or, a small table or, better yet, share the big table with strangers and make some new friends.

The food is very Nihonjin, very reminiscent of the casual and friendly atmosphere to be found at many similar eateries in Japan. Gompachi comes to mind. The food is very Gompachi as well - grilled items, soups, tapas, and a few suprises. Don't go in expecting sushi. Instead, look forward to the best robata in the city. If you're partial to hatsu or gyu-tan, I defy you to find better. Another stand-out item is the Zaru Tofu, their homemade tofu served with salt, green onions, and a smidge of an extremely aromatic Japanese pepper. It's one of my favorite dishes on the menu - and this is from a guy who doesn't like sushi. A recent addition to the menu - scallop skewers served three ways - was excellent. As was the chicken udon my wife ordered. The broth was incredibly flavorful.

Great service from the young, upbeat staff. The place has only been open a couple of months and I sincerely hope it does well. Apparently, it's hopping on weekends but fairly quiet on weekdays. Hopefully things will pick things up for them once word gets out and more people discover this hidden gem.

Check it out. A true Nihonjin experience.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

I believe this is the second location for them, the original one is on Denman (right next to the Dairy Queen across from the Safeway). Although the menu is not as extensive, the quality of food is better and one doesn't feel rushed during the meal.

I've visited the place three times in the past month and each time, all orders have been perfectly grilled. Gotta love that smoky charcoal flavor....

^ You are my hero. I am very much looking forward to trying this out.

Both locations.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

LordBalthazar-do you speak any Japanese?

Do you know what it is the Staff all shout when a guest leaves?

When you enter they say "irrashaimaseeeeeeeee!!!" which means welcome, but when a guest leaves often they say "arigato gozaimashitaaaaaaaaa" meaning simply... thank you.

One thing I love about izakaya is, although their business is based on alcohol sales most often servers don't make you feel guilty not ordering alcoholic beverages. I'm guessing they're use to dealing with Japanese people with low alcohol tolerance. Does anyone know where I can buy those enzymes I'm lacking???? In certain establishments, if one orders virgin mojitos (no rum minty lime drink!) they will boldly refuse to serve it to you (coughBuddhaBarinNYcough)!! It's not my fault I have a mild alcohol allergy. Having said that, I certainly won't turn down a glass of Pichon Longueville!

So back to zakkushi, I agree with LordBalthazar it's very authentic and food was pretty good. The decor is very wabi sabi (in an aesthetic sense, not that restaurant that closed down on 10th) and I love the contrast you get with all the action and noise. I particularly enjoyed their salads and traditional tsukune gets my thumbs up.

Has anyone tried the new izakaya on Denman called Kingyo? That's my next stop.

ahh where's the button for the fries?

"I'm guessing they're use to dealing with Japanese people with low alcohol tolerance."

You're an exception to the rule. Most Japanese people I know could drink me under the table.

And I'd like to test your alcohol tolerance sometime in the coming weeks if you and hubby are game. Calpis and vodka at Zakkushi anyone?

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

I'm guessing they're use to dealing with Japanese people with low alcohol tolerance.  Does anyone know where I can buy those enzymes I'm lacking????  In certain establishments, if one orders virgin mojitos (no rum minty lime drink!) they will boldly refuse to serve it to you (coughBuddhaBarinNYcough)!!  It's not my fault I have a mild alcohol allergy.

I read up on it because I get congested and really bloated the day after I've had too many drinks. If you're like me, it's not an allergy (as the immune system is not involved) but a food intolerance. :sad:

Tough cookie: Do you mean the menu is better quality at the original location, or the location LordBalthazar posted about?

LordBalthazar-do you speak any Japanese?

Do you know what it is the Staff all shout when a guest leaves?

When you enter they say "irrashaimaseeeeeeeee!!!" which means welcome, but when a guest leaves often they say "arigato gozaimashitaaaaaaaaa" meaning simply... thank you.

I wondered.

' Irrasshaimase ' and especially 'Domo Arigato' are 2 of the first Sushi Bar Japanese words I learned but to have 5 people shouting them in your face is quite different. :raz:

^ They take it one step further by actually following you out the door and shouting it before closing it again. Wonderful :)

I dig the chicken skewers and I havn't had friend o-nigri in a loooong time.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

^ They take it one step further by actually following you out the door and shouting it before closing it again.  Wonderful :) 

I dig the chicken skewers and I havn't had friend o-nigri in a loooong time.

i looooove grilled onigiri!! great for us people who can't eat grilled meat without a bit of rice :raz:

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Sorry that my earlier post wasn't clear - I found the W.4th location to be better.  I think it is because there aren't the huge lineups that the Denman location suffers, so the grilling is not as rushed.

Alexandra Gill of the Globe and Mail likes it too:

After being bombarded with requests for the perfect first-date restaurant, I think I have finally found a fail-proof recommendation. Zakkushi is a cozy Japanese robatayaki that specializes in skewers of meat grilled over sizzling hot charcoal.

Whether you're out to fan a new flame or simply rekindle the embers of a slow-burning passion, this is a hot little spot that will get the fire started.

Zakkushi fires up those first-date flames

The linked article is only available free for one week.

Cheers,

Anne