• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Buttermilk

godito

I've been craving good fried chicken for a while, but not only that, I was thinking about buttermilk pankakes, biscuits and ranch dressing. Plus, I'd really like to experiment.

See, here in Chile we don't get buttermilk in the supermarkets. So, I was wondering if anybody has any experience in making your own, or at least a suitable substitute. Oh, btw, finding raw milk is also very hard (somebody told me to beguin with raw milk, that's why I mention this)

I'm guessing adding something sour, like tartaric acid, to milk (or cream) will result in a good enough product, but I thought it would be better if I checked with you all before trying.

Thanks

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

You're right. You can use cream of tartar, or lemon juice or white vinegar. For a cup of milk, add 1 3/4 tbsp. of cream of tartar, or one teaspoon of lemon or white vinegar. Let it stand for a few minutes to set up.

I use the substitute for chicken all the time and it makes it so tender.

Edited by monavano (log)

I've been craving good fried chicken for a while, but not only that, I was thinking about buttermilk pankakes, biscuits and ranch dressing. Plus, I'd really like to experiment.

See, here in Chile we don't get buttermilk in the supermarkets. So, I was wondering if anybody has any experience in making your own, or at least a suitable substitute. Oh, btw, finding raw milk is also very hard (somebody told me to beguin with raw milk, that's why I mention this)

I'm guessing adding something sour, like tartaric acid, to milk (or cream) will result in a good enough product, but I thought it would be better if I checked with you all before trying.

Thanks

Hello,

For 1 cup buttermilk substitute, add 1 Tbsp white vinegar to a measuring cup, plus enough milk to equal 1 cup. Let it sit about 10-15 minutes and stir. I use this all the time with excellent results.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

... Oh, btw, finding raw milk is also very hard (somebody told me to beguin with raw milk, that's why I mention this)

If you can get hold of *any* raw milk (you don't need much at all - just for creating the initial batch of "starter"), here's how to proceed

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Chees...lk_from_scratch

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I've thought about making buttermilk but just haven't gotten around to it. Yet.

Darina Allen has a recipe for a Buttermilk Plant in her Irish Traditional Cooking book.

The ingredients:

30 grams sugar

30 grams yeast

1.2 litres tepid milk and water

The directions say to cream the yeast with the sugar so I'm assuming the yeast is in cake form.

The tepid milk-water is added slowly to the sugar-yeast. That mixture is put in a container that has been scalded. The container is covered and left in a warm place ( for a couple of days ) until it looks and smells like buttermilk. At that point, the liquid is poured through muslin.

The stuff that's left in the muslin is the plant. Pour tepid water over that to wash off all the milk. Put the plant in a scalded container and add 1.2 litres tepid milk and water. Put it back in a warm place.

Repeat every five days. Cleanliness is important. Never use hot milk-water or you'll kill the plant.

Sounds easy enough. And I would think that the buttermilk would taste better after a few generations. There is no mention of raw milk and there's no mention of what the ratio of milk and water should be.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Here in the States, a powdered buttermilk is available. I've used it in baking, and it works well. You might look around for it locally, or try to snag some if you or a friend are indulging in some international travel. You may also be able to mail order it.

Buttermilk is created with a bacteria that likes to ferment at cooler (room) temperatures, while Yogurt is created with a bacteria that prefers a warm breeding ground, around 105-115 degrees, originally buttermilk was made with the leftover whey and byproducts of butter making, back in the day they used to let the milk sit for awhile so the cream would float to the top of the milk to be skimmed away, as it sat it fermented and took on a slight sour taste, hence the name buttermilk. To make homemade modern buttermilk, purchase some cultured buttermilk from the store that contains live, active cultures. Add this to some cooled scalded milk and let it sit around for a while. Luckily, the good bacteria reproduce and create an environment ill-suited to the bad bacteria.....same process as yogurt, but at a cooler temperature.

I believe all of that is right, but I could be off a little.

Thanks for all the help... I will try to talk to some friends and see if I can get my hands on some raw milk, but in the past it's been near impossible.

In any case, I will start experimenting with the other methods and see which works better. I'l keep you all posted.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

godito,

I live in Japan where buttermilk is also unavailable, over the years I have used various substitutes such as soured milk, yogurt and the powdered stuff. Many recipes turn out fine with a substitute but try make a buttermilk dressing or a buttermilk based soup with ay of those and you will be very disappointed. This summer I bought a buttermilk starter from Leeners.com and I will never go back to a substitute! I use them for all of my cheesemaking and sausage making supplies as well, and they will ship anywhere.

edited to add you don't need raw milk for the starter and it can be made with whole milk, lowfat or even skim.

Edited by torakris (log)
  • Like 1

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 9 years later...

A new experiment! (For me.)

I have a creamery near me that produces uncultured buttermilk.  They always seem to be sold out of it, but I finally was able to pick some up. 

It tastes like weak cream.

And then I remembered that I have some mesophilic culture in the freezer left from some cheesemaking experiments. 

The culture has been added to the half-gallon (less a taste) of uncultured buttermilk.

The jug has been placed on top of the freezer.

I am about to cap the jug with a brewing airlock.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Edited by donk79 (log)

The culturing was a success!  I ended up leaving the buttermilk at about 72 degrees F for 18 hours.  It thickened nicely and definitely developed the tang I was looking for.  It may have a bit of a cheesier (Not sure how to describe it) flavor than commercial buttermilk, but the first test says it works beautifully for biscuits.  Now I am just wondering about perpetuating the culture instead of starting from a fresh packet of culture each time.

• Like 2