• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungry Detective Premieres!

MarketStEl

No cops in this one, although the Japanese guy eating a shrimp at Gardena bowl is one of my Sgts and the woman with him eating is Muffin210 from eG...oh and the guy eating in the background at Rizzo's is none other than our own Russell Wong!

St Arnold....yes it was, and damn it was good....we actually taped a bit where we mention the beer by name....but alas...time was against us!

I just watched the L.A. show and now I am starved....gotta go to work at 1....so where to eat lunch today.....Cajun, Hawaiian or Breadsticks!

Oh and next week (Charleston) eG gets a big mention!

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

No cops in this one, although the Japanese guy eating a shrimp at Gardena bowl is one of my Sgts and the woman with him eating is Muffin210 from eG...oh and the guy eating in the background at Rizzo's is none other than our own Russell Wong!

It's almost like interactive television!

SB (great fun!) :laugh::laugh::laugh:

St Arnold....yes it was, and damn it was good....we actually taped a bit where we mention the beer by name....but alas...time was against us!

I just watched the L.A. show and now I am starved....gotta go to work at 1....so where to eat lunch today.....Cajun, Hawaiian or Breadsticks!

Oh and next week (Charleston) eG gets a big mention!

Too late now, but that Cajun place looked mighty good!

I also note that you got a little plug in for the Daily Breeze. It's only fitting.

(Edited to add: Wonder whether any of your viewers, based on the narrative in the show's intro, assumed you wrote for the Los Angeles Times? :laugh: )

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I know...its really fast....in fact I tasted all 3 tacos..the asada, al pastor and carnitas...feel free to let them know you want more time or less places...we could easily make a 60 min show w the footage we have....The bowling alley..funny story...I suck at bowling and was supposed to say, I came here to eat, not bowl for obvious reasons...but then I hit a strike and went with it....

You rolled the strike on the first take?? :raz:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

The Daily Breeze thing was nice, we didnt put it in the intro to all the shows cause of legal stuff...but got permission for this shoot...

The bowling....I suck, it was supposed to be "I didnt come here to bowl, see its obvious cause I suck at it"....but I hit the strike and went with it.....I could never have done it again...the shot came out perfect, camera, strike and my impromptu line...so we left it in!

Next week is Charleston...what an amazing place!

The Hungry Detective

Hey chris,

Watched a few of your shows this and last week! Great show. Husband wants me to ask if you're planning to do any shows in portland, oregon. He says "please?!" :biggrin: haha.

So far, my fav foods are the shrimp/lobster thing at the fish market, the fried alligator + other seafood, and... the buffalo burgers! Oh, and the garlic fillet mignon stir fry!! :wub: We soooo need a drooly smiley.

Hey Chris,

I almost did a spit-take when you held up a copy of the Daily Breeze for the world to see! Congrats on the show!

Joe Blowe

Daily Breeze Subscriber

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Hey Chris,

I almost did a spit-take when you held up a copy of the Daily Breeze for the world to see!  Congrats on the show!

Joe Blowe

Daily Breeze Subscriber

It's said in the Bible that "A prophet is not without honor, save in his own country...".

That almost seems to be the case with the Daily Breeze' most celebrated prophet/contributor?

With some difficulty I managed to come up with this link to Chris' articles, although you must be a subscriber to access the entire text in most cases.

SB (may dash of a Letter to the Editor :angry: )(or subscribe? :smile: )

Psst... all of Chris' articles are archived here...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Our intrepid culinary explorer visits Charleston.

Most of the food makes it seem like it's almost a foreign country.

1. Fresh seafood doesn't excite me much, but maybe that's because I'm here in Northern Minnesota, about as far from the sea as anyplace in the Country? Shrimp and lobster, okay, raw oysters, no way! :sad:

(aside) I see you scored another Mustang! :smile:

2. Green tomatos are something we get a lot around here by virture of a growing season that doesn't begin until Memorial Day and often ends with a frost around Labor Day. Maybe I should learn how to fry them up?

Needless to say, grits aren't very common up here either, although polenta is. Do you really like grits?

(bonus) eGullet gets a plug! :biggrin: (the checks in the mail :wink: )

3. When I see a chef that looks like, or is shaped like Chris, I'm pretty comfortable too.

The chili sundae was a nice presentation.

4. Fig? :huh: The rice pudding looked really great though.

5. BBQ. Another of my non-specialties, but ... now THAT's a SMOKER! :shock: The color on those chickens was beautiful. :biggrin:

I wish this segment could have been a lot longer.

SB (I'll have that chicken, and try some fried green tomatos, with rice pudding for dessert.)(and I'll take a Mustang convert to cruise around in too :rolleyes: )

I hate oyesters, thats why Jeff ate them and I had the shrimp....The grits were awesome, and the chili sunday...oh yea...in fact all of the food in Charleston was fantastic....it was my favorite city of the series...great people, great place...but then again, all of the cities we went were really good.

I saw a rough cut of Miami the other day, looks cool...there is a scene where I hop on a lobster boat and ride it down the Miami river to a place serving lobster thermidor!

The Hungry Detective

I just saw that Chris is to be a guest chef at the Pennsylvania Farm Show in January 2007! Chris, will that be shown anywhere other than locally? The Pennsylvania Cable Network will probably show it, but they're only on the air on cable in PA.

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/farmsho...2&farmshowNav=|

(Edited to add the website...)

Edited by JanMcBaker (log)
"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Don't know what it will be on...I am doing a few morning shows on Fri the 5th as well as some radio...I am doing a couple of fun cooking demo's....gonna do flank teak taco's w a red wine glaze and rasberry corn salsa and an Aztec Chicken soup.....

I am pretty excited about it....I was really impressed w the produce I got to see at the farmers market and at capagiro (the sorbet place) when filming Philly.....plus I get to have some more cheesesteaks!

I am off to green bay in the morning to fulfill a lifelong drean of watching the Packers play a home game!...plus I am gonna track down one of those butter burgers I keep hearing about!

The Hungry Detective

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Butter Burgers!!!!!!! I love CULVER'S!!!!!! We even have a

coffee mug with a little burger that spins around on the handle from there!

I'm jealous!!!!! Bon Appetit and a hui hou! Don't forget your cheesehead....... :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Aloha Chris! I just saw your picture and read about you in the USA TODAY section of the

Sunday paper. Fun little write-up! A hui hou :smile:

Oops! I had to edit, I get a few Sunday papers and originally I thought it was that

Parade section which looks the same and has about the same sort of content.

Edited by oneidaone (log)

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Don't know what it will be on...I am doing a few morning shows on Fri the 5th as well as some radio...I am doing a couple of fun cooking demo's....gonna do flank teak taco's w a red wine glaze and rasberry corn salsa and an Aztec Chicken soup.....

I am pretty excited about it....I was really impressed w the produce I got to see at the farmers market and at capagiro (the sorbet place) when filming Philly.....plus I get to have some more cheesesteaks!

Well, don't leave us hanging! Where else will you be that weekend? Is what you're doing all in the Harrisburg area or will you be wandering the state any?

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Gonna be in Philly thursday night, friday morning...then off to Harrisburg for the show, staying 2 nights....I am cooking w the Lt Gov at the show...I heard she is fun, should be a blast...

I am pretty stoked to be able to get a cheesesteak again....oh yea, and I am gonna try and eat at Mezzaluna if I can...this time w out camera's...I really liked that place..

Chris

The Hungry Detective

Of course I'm going to watch Chris in Las Vega again!

Afterall, I must have seen some Emeril and Iron Chef episodes half a dozen times each!

SB (to say nothing of The Andy Griffith Show re-runs over the past 40 years!) :shock:

I'd forgotten about the Chicken Fried Lobster at Bibions. It may have been a hot tip, but damn, those steaks on the grill were mighty fine looking! Do you always get to order what you want, or is it "staged"?

SB (not that there's anything wrong with that! :cool: )

I'd forgotten about the Chicken Fried Lobster at Bibions.  It may have been a hot tip, but damn, those steaks on the grill were mighty fine looking!  Do you always get to order what you want, or is it "staged"?

SB (not that there's anything wrong with that!  :cool: )

Well, that is how it really happened, we went in for steaks and Margie told us about Chicken Fried Lobster.....that was a no brainer, although we did worry a bit about how the execs would like it....(they all want to go eat it now)....We look through a menu at every place, ask about specials and Sean Omalley and I decide what we are going to eat....we try to mix it up a a bit for each show....although an entire show about great hamburgers etc could work just fine....but it would have to be in several cites....

Oh, the steaks at Binions.....very good...in fact we ate there another night off camera and I had a fantastic petitie filet and a tail....done to perfection....w a great view that you just cant get anywhere else in Vegas except the Stratosphere...

The Hungry Detective

This is a don't-miss for me---an articulate, informed, interesting host, with just enough geniality to leave the cloy-sweet and bubbly to dessert and champagne.

My favorite of all the new food shows, and I hope Indy is on the list soon---I tried to do justice to Shapiro's at Thanksgiving, but a picture just doesn't convey that rich redolence of warm, rosy corned beef---and the rye to die.

My house has two guest rooms and good cooking for between samplings of all the local fare.

• 2 weeks later...