• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungry Detective Premieres!

MarketStEl

My wife and I are enjoying the shows and certainly find you/Chris very likeable...

With a smile, I have to say it kinda makes me crazy seeing a big guy like me take these tiny little 'dime-size' tastes of things, often removing them to a separate & expansive empty cold white plate...

It appears as though you're done with the dish after that lil 'taste...

Being on Atkins, I needed to see a chunk of that Cracklin' Corn Bread 'sop up' some-a-dat Brunswick Stew...

Because that's the deal...

But, I understand totally...

I also go crazy when the mic catches slurping, or when hosts talk with their mouth full...

Alton, who I totally dig, is the king there... Agh!

I certainly understand if that's what you're trying to avoid...

---and that chewing/swallowing takes time...

I'm just hoping to see a happy medium...

But we're fans... God bless, and all the best...

Edited by Mild Bill (log)

It took us a while to find the happy medium, trust me it was not easy....eating in front of a camera and then talking is one of the most difficult things I have done on camera....I did throw some of the cracklin bread into the brunswick stew but it didnt make it in....we are pretty pressed for time with the food shot, storyline, intro's and city stuff...all for 5 places in 21 mins....it must be so much easier to shoot only 3 places instead...

We have enough footage in any city for a 1 hr show easy...

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Hey, it's Andrew.

email/PM me about the boston shoot. agbaber@bu.edu

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

It took us a while to find the happy medium, trust me it was not easy....eating in front of a camera and then talking is one of the most difficult things I have done on camera....I did throw some of the cracklin bread into the brunswick stew but it didnt make it in....we are pretty pressed for time with the food shot, storyline, intro's and city stuff...all for 5 places in 21 mins....it must be so much easier to shoot only 3 places instead...

We have enough footage in any city for a 1 hr show easy...

Congrats on the refreshing new show, Chris. I recall seeing you on Feasting on Asphalt with Alton B. Was that when you were 'discovered' or had that happened already? I love the way you describe the food you're eating on the show. It makes the audience become part of your wonderful experience. Good luck with the rest of the show/s.

Surely. Send me a pm or email me at paul@charlestonfoodcompany.com. Glad to help you out and thanks for the compliments!

PEC

Chris,

Just got through the backlog on my TiVo and I am mucho impressed. Love the shirts, love the show.

Charleston...

Nice shots. Will you print B&W's or sepias of some of your photos? I'm remodeling my kitchen and want to hang some food-related photographs.

Thanks!

~C

CharlestonFoodCompany.com

Charleston, South Carolina Food and Beverage Discussion Forums and Food Photography!

i was not supposed to be in Feasting....but when Alton called after he crashed we figured this would be a way to continue filming the show and still have it interesting, I already had a deal w food net at the time, but had done research for Alton during the last year for his upcoming trip....you know, the cop stuff....

I have a great shot of us eating that giant burger on my computer background here at the station...

Paul...I just sent you an e mail....

The Hungry Detective

Chris, I love the show! As someone who lives in Vegas now, I was so happy someone went off the Strip and showed downtown.. it needs all the help from classy people it can get! I work at a bar just south of the Fremont Street Experience, and fried twinkies are our friends!

Oh and thank you for showing Ellis Island! An insider tip.. Join thier points club! Even if you are only there for the food, you automatically get enough points when you sign up for a dinner!

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

yea ...the waitress....no comment!!! The BBQ was really good, and the burger amazing....I love the NYC show, itwas fun to shoot and I think it showed..funny thing about the intro...remember when the shot of me in times square with the background spinning.....you should have seen the crew behind the camera trying to run in a circle behind the camera guy to avoid being in the shot...it took 6 or 7 takes and was pretty funny to watch from the street!

The Hungry Detective

You seem to play into our lives . . . I've just last Friday tried to tell the 'trouble and strife' that the way to eat a pizza is to fold it longways and there you are (Bob's your uncle) backing me up.

You're the best!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

:angry: Damn. I missed the show! We forgot it was on because we were watching election results (we still don't have a Senator in VA this am, I could have watched Chris). The Food Network page just lists last night and o'dark thirty this morning for the NY show. Atlanta was on a lot more than that. Chris, do you know if it is going to be repeated more than it is listed??? Crap.

Good job Chris!  You're a real pro. :biggrin:

Your eyes focused on the bbq'd fried rice rather than the waitress. :blink:

SB (how many takes? :wink: )

And did you hear the sound he made when the waitress brought the food to his table? His eyes were on the food at the time! :biggrin:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Last week, I went to Rizzo's Pizzeria in Torrance to see FN do some filming for Chris's LA episode. Here are a few photos:

gallery_24802_3868_28957.jpg

gallery_24802_3868_52388.jpg

Yes, I'm on film! I had to make that plate of calzone last for at least two hours as they were filming. Eating, pretending to eat, not looking into the camera ... The filming session lasted about four to six hours and that was a short session, so I was told ...

gallery_24802_3868_83733.jpg

Chris & the crew of Hungry Detective

Thank you, Chris et al., for my big show biz break! Please PM me how the final edit looks.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Russell, great shots...I am packing the suitcase in Boston and flying to Charleston in 2 hrs....cheers, Chris

PS we filmed a chocolate segment this morning....I thought Iwas going to explode!

Chris,

Quite a hectic schedule. Are you retired, (you don't look that old), or on leave from your police job?

SB :huh:

I am 38 and still working...I just got into Charleston from Boston...its almost midnight...we shoot a ton of stuff starting at 8 am.....till about 11 pm...then up at 730 to shoot another scene...then off to the airport, fly to Philly to connect w my plane back to L.A. which I hope will arrive at 10 pm....then I work at the police station at 6 am....I am leading a double life...and its taking its toll thats for sure!

The Hungry Detective

Yes, I'm on film! I had to make that plate of calzone last for at least two hours as they were filming. Eating, pretending to eat, not looking into the camera ...

I can appreciate how difficult both of those feats were for you :biggrin: I hope they don't leave you on the cutting room floor after the sacrifice you made. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Just got home from Charleston where we met up with Chris, Sean, Jeff and the gang prior to the shoot at the Noisy Oyster (to replace Bowen's Island). We had a great 45 mins, or so, talking about Chris' schedule and the success of the show.

The real kicker came right after Chris was telling us how weird it is to have people waving at him on the street and so forth, telling him how much they like his show. Then this young woman, sitting nearby at the bar, approached and asked if they could take pictures with him!. Chris was smiling from ear to ear and loving every minute of it.

Turns out this couple are from Texas, visiting Charleston, read somewhere about the shoot today, and came down just to meet him.

Rest easy fellow eGulleteers...Chris is loving the fame, but it's not going to his head.

Chris, can we tell everyone how the show did last week?

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Dave, so glad you guys could make it to the shoot and that we got to meet up. The shoot lasted till 1030 pm....I just got back to the hotel ad we have to shoot again at 745 am....uggh...

I guess I can say that the show has grown in the ratings and that we came in first out of the travel block shows last tues night on food net.

I cant say enough thanks for all the help that all of you folks here at eG have given me in this. Several of you made great guests and helped us so much w research and the like. I think we (eG folks, foodies etc) have shown the power of food lovers, bloggers and food forums to the network and really made a great show that we can be proud of....

Thanks so much to all of you!

Chris

The Hungry Detective

I put some video and a few photos up on my site.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand