• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungry Detective Premieres!

MarketStEl

The steak house was crowded until it came time to eat....we had to set up lights etc....which Katie and Sandy can tell you in not a short process....

Joyful house was on a travel channel show...I am pretty sure its the first time for food network....I know that they could use the business which makes me feel good as I know they will be getting some from the show.....

I know all the places I took Alton too in feasting got really busy after it aired....

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

The steak house was crowded until it came time to eat....we had to set up lights etc....which Katie and Sandy can tell you in not a short process....

Joyful house was on a travel channel show...I am pretty sure its the first time for food network....I know that they could use the business which makes me feel good as I know they will be getting some from the show.....

I know all the places I took Alton too in feasting got really busy after it aired....

O.K.! need to edit as I hit the wrong key after "" due to my cast. Anyway it WAS on the

"After Midnight Las Vegas" show on the Foodnetwork. I verified this before my original

post becasue it just looked so familiar and since I specifically remember Kerry Simon

(Iron Chef America challenge Hamburger winner) taking the hostess there and wishing

it were me! It is in the Foodnetwork archives of that show and the locations. You are

doing a great job! And love the shirts! a hui hou and hana hou! Can't wait to get this

cast off! :biggrin:

Edited by oneidaone (log)

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Shit, you are right....we thought it was on the TC...oh well, it was a on while ago....its interesting to see what people are saying on other web sites ....its funny how mean people can be from the safety of thier computer....oh well...guess I better get used to it.....but I will actually defend myself, so some might be suprised at the answers to the posts....

I am all cool with honest critics and real feedback....and actually listen to it as I think it can only make things better....thats why I like this board here so much, as well as goodeatsfan page...its civilized

Chris

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

The Hungry Detective

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I also posted the info about the show and a like to FoodTv on another forum (for fans of a very prolific British author) and have had a note from a member who just moved to LV (from Oregon) and was thrilled to get the info about the local beer and barbecue place. He "collects" micro breweries and had no knowledge of this one.

It did seem that the last couple of segments were a bit "pinched" but that is common on shows such as this. I have noticed it on several other FTVN shows.

I know the Philly folks are looking forward to that segment and I have alerted a friend who lives in Cape May as she visits the city fairly often and she is a dedicated foodie.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Pinched....yea, we have a set time for each act...they get shorter each one till the last, which is pretty short...so we try to fit all the stuff we can in....its pretty hard actually as we have to really figure out what is worth it.....its hard when you have so much good stuff as we did in several shows..

The Hungry Detective

I thought the show was great! Loved the shirt changeups. But mostly I loved Chris' smile and disarming personality.

I know one police officer reasonably well, and I've been on a ride-along (scary experience :unsure:). My friend is not your typical TV cop. He's very reassuring, strong, capable, calm . . . even in a scary situation. The kind of guy you would pour your heart out to. So . . .

I think Chris' background has influenced the show more than most of us probably realize. He makes people feel comfortable, even in front of bright lights and big camera lenses. I thought his 'interviewees' were far more comfortable with him than I have ever seen on a network food show. His smile and attitude are infectious.

I LOVED the concept of grinching two top chefs as 'informers.' (Too bad about the car, but you looked good! :cool: )

I didn't mind the squished presentation at all. In fact, I thought the show was lively. Only five spots in an entire city? All with different shirts? Bring it on!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Can I buy a set on video? No cable, no routine access.   

beg,plead, whimper, grovel, beg some more...

I'm worse off than that - I don't even own a television! Are there going to be any YouTube clips for those of us that rely on the internet for everything???

I await with bated breath next Tuesday's episode.  Maybe I'll have a few people over too.  Cheesesteaks, of course, to celebrate Katie's and my cameo.

Some of us Philadelphians ended up on the cutting room floor. My face time, Freddy and Tony's (Puerto Rican, the Barrio, and great food), was dropped - something about how the food came across on tape. So they say. But I'm thinking that with Chris and I looking so much alike, once Chris saw the segment he insisted that there was only room for one suave and debonair guy, and since it is his show....

Assuming nothing else has changed - Philadelphia places featured are Steve's Prince of Steaks, Johnny's Red Hot, Capo Giro (my picks), Mezza Luna and Bitars. Along with Freddy and Tony's, Sarcone's Deli is possibly scheduled for the show's website. My only real complaint is no Philadelphia hoagie, but others are probably thinking "Thank god, no Philadelphia hoagie." My original suggestion was Philadelphia's five basic food groups: cheesesteaks, hoagies, pork sandwiches, pretzels and scrapple. Not enough variety - the premise calls for sit down and ethnic eating too.

Chris had a lot of fun doing this and that comes across well on camera. It's a neat approach and totally different from anything else on the Food Network.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Shit, you are right....we thought it was on the TC...oh well, it was a on while ago....its interesting to see what people are saying on other web sites ....its funny how mean people can be from the safety of thier computer....oh well...guess I better get used to it.....but I will actually defend myself, so some might be suprised at the answers to the posts....

I am all cool with honest critics and real feedback....and actually listen to it as I think it can only make things better....thats why I like this board here so much, as well as goodeatsfan page...its civilized

Chris

Sic 'em, sweetie! :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Well guuys what did you think?...Vegas was the pilot,I was still a bit green....but it was a blast to film and I think it came out well.....

The"green" part didn't show. You looked at ease but enthusiastic, completely comfortable and confident in front of the camera. When I think back to Giada's first shows, she was quite stiff and reserved compared to how she comes across now. I don't anticipate seeing that kind of an evolution in your work; you seem to be already "there".

I've never wanted to go to Vegas until now. Must have some of that chicken fried lobster! Man that looked good!

There's a lot of appeal in a show like this being done by someone who works in a non-food field, and is not a chef or food professional. I hope you'll continue to play up the "cop" aspect of things; it works well and adds an interesting context for the food.

I'm not knocking Rachael Ray's show, but this show comes across as a lot more street-smart and real than her show does. There's an instant bridge built with the audience in your show; when I watch Rachael's, having done some TV producing in my earlier life, I just assume it was the producers who did all of the scouting and made the decisions on locations and restaurants. HD comes across as your show, since people just naturally put cops together with little-known nooks and crannies in the cities.

The whole thing works well, and the pilot didn't come off as an inexperienced effort. Congratulations on a genuine success! :biggrin:

others are probably thinking "Thank god, no Philadelphia hoagie." 

That's kinda what I'm thinking. When (not if) Chris & Company come to KC, I hope they avoid bbq like the plague. Not that we don't have THE BEST (take that! Texas, Carolina and Tennessee :laugh:) but it's been done...to...death. Esp on TFN. Show 'em something they're NOT expecting! [stepping off soapbox now.]

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Chris your reply on another forum was well said. The initial negativity of the one person

certainly was not continued. Funny all I took complete notice of was how much fun you

seemed to be having and your completely wanting to share yourself and your meals

with all of us. I hope you don't think I was being 'negative' about the Joyful House

thing, I was glad to see it again with different food! You are to be commended for

having so many hats to wear and wearing them so well! A hui hou :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Chris

Yep, I was on that other board and was offended at the meanness. It made me think, though. I wondered if my being offended had something to do with 'knowing' you from here. I am not sure if I've ever made a personal attack (as opposed to a real criticism) on line, but I have laughed at and enjoyed snarkiness at other's expense. But the targets weren't people I 'knew' and considered 'real', if you know what I mean. Hmmm. I have to do some soul searching, I think.

Yes, we may have to admit that even Rachael Ray feels pain. (But when she does, she never stops smiling!)

Hopefully I can catch the show on a repeat this weekend. It sounds like fun. What are the other cities in the first season?

Edited by TAPrice (log)

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Chris

Yep, I was on that other board and was offended at the meanness. It made me think, though. I wondered if my being offended had something to do with 'knowing' you from here. I am not sure if I've ever made a personal attack (as opposed to a real criticism) on line, but I have laughed at and enjoyed snarkiness at other's expense. But the targets weren't people I 'knew' and considered 'real', if you know what I mean. Hmmm. I have to do some soul searching, I think.

I left a reply stating how I felt about it to the poster...I think they did not expect me to see the post let alone defend myself....

I guess it just makes some pathetic people feel good to put down others....thats pretty sad....I have always been and always be, about lifting up others and pointing out the potential in everyone....except the scumbags that I have to put in jail...they can rot in hell...

People have often wondered why most TV personalities never come to internet sites, message boards and the like....my question is, would you?...I have a friend who had a TV show (not Alton) that was so excited and wanted to be able to answer questions and see what people thought....but people were so cruel to him he said he would never do that again.....

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

The Hungry Detective

Chris, I am a pretty honest guy and if I didnt like your show so much I would have not said anything.. I really really enjoyed your show.. I found myself laughing at loud at points.. I go to Vegas often and cant wait to try your suggestions.. The Brewery, Binions, and the Chinese Restaurant all look well worth the visit.. And never knew about the Steak House at Binions.. Would you recommend it for a Bachelor Party Dinner.. Would you say it ranks up there with the better steakhouses?

I know the purist might cringe at a Chicken Fried Lobster.. But it looked really awesome.. They are selling 3 lobsters for 24 bucks in Chinatown.. My first chance, I am getting some lobster tails..

I thought you looked really comfortable on TV and had a natural excitement, warmth and funny personality.. I have a harder time believing you are a Cop, over a TV guy.. It also looked like you gave great suggestions.. Cant wait to see more episodes..

Congratulations

Daniel, Binions is pretty good...serious steaks..the night before the shoot we all eate dinner and I had a filet and a tail...both done to perfection...it is as OLD SCHOOL as it gets...great view, good service...and not nearly as expensive as on the strip....if you are planning to take a group, let me know and I will call Margie (the woman from the show) for you...she has taken good care of the people I send there...

I can only say, go for the lobster...if you can cook it yourself...do it...it really was amazing and not at all a waste of lobster....as you will learn in the show...I eat a lot of lobster...speaking of....we found this place in Miami for Lobster Thermidor....in a fish market..with a killer patio on the Miami river....it was called Garcia's ....quoting myself it was "Awesome"!

The Hungry Detective

I'm glad I recorded the first episode, as I haven't had a chance to sit in front of the TV all week.

One quick set of questions (and I apologize for getting far too ahead of the process): Will you get ratings reports? Are the Food Network folks targeting a certain number, or are there other aspects to how they evaluate a new program? And what can we do to help spread the word????

Congratulations on pursuing a dream. That's completely fantastic.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

...and not nearly as expensive as on the strip....

I realize you're talking about the steakhouse here, but:

While I stand by my prior comment about those ribs not being barbecue, I must say that I found myself saying as I heard you and the chef rattle off the prices there, "$1 microbrew? $6 slabs of ribs? Am I dreaming?"

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Chris- Watched the show again and loved it even more.

How're you doin? They still got you flying all over the place?

This is the most exciting thing I've been involved with in quite some time.

PS: I think I've had about three hundred suan la chow show dumplings since we filmed there. They even let me park out back and walk through the kitchen whenever I go there!

Keep up the great work, I cant wait to see Atlanta!!!

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

I realize you're talking about the steakhouse here, but:

While I stand by my prior comment about those ribs not being barbecue, I must say that I found myself saying as I heard you and the chef rattle off the prices there, "$1 microbrew? $6 slabs of ribs? Am I dreaming?"

It was interesting that as the ribs were cleary being grilled, the guy was like these are being slow cooked! Regardless of that, the still looked great.. And steaming is more appealing to me then boiling.. Unless, they were boiled in some sort of really cool pork stock.. But a 20 ounce beer for a buck.. Yes, please..

Edited by Daniel (log)

If this is what the show is like while it's still "green", I can't wait to see what comes when you settle and really get it cookin'. Great show! It's got a really good feel to it. Very enjoyable to watch. And practical. I have a friend that always runs around Vegas with an Advisor coupon book and he's taken me to Ellis Island. Some great deals if you know where to find them. Looking forward to the next one.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

That's kinda what I'm thinking. When (not if) Chris & Company come to KC, I hope they avoid bbq like the plague. Not that we don't have THE BEST (take that! Texas, Carolina and Tennessee :laugh:) but it's been done...to...death. Esp on TFN. Show 'em something they're NOT expecting! [stepping off soapbox now.]

Here's an idea... KC hoagies & Philly BBQ

Here's an idea... KC hoagies & Philly BBQ

Exactly what I had in mind and MarketStEl (who should be something of an expert on both KC and Philly food) has already done the research. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher