• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Severed Arm / Rats Cake

johnsmith45678

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!

I suppose that saying it's horrible, gross and absolutely disgusting is actually a compliment to the talents of the decorator. But you'll never see me doing anything like that.

I used to work with a couple of guys who are really talented cake artists. They loved doing stuff like that. One Halloween they made a severed head with a snake slithering through the mouth and coming out the eye sockets. They are all over themselves saying, "COOL! It looks so REAL!", and I'm like, "Ewww! It looks TOO real!"

One time, I was given an order to do where the cake had to look like it was 100 years old. I had to make cracked icing and mold and bugs and anything I could think of to make it look bad. I really struggled with that order because it's really not in me to make things look bad on purpose. When I was done, the cake was acceptable, but not terribly gross, because I didn't want to make the cake look UNAPPETIZING. I mean, it's a cake for God's sake. When the customer came to pick it up, she wasn't happy, because the cracks looked "too perfect" and it just wasn't gross enough. Mike and John (my co-workers) came to my rescue. They actually smashed the cake. John made tiny little maggots from pieces of modeling chocolate. They airbrushed yellow spots and mold on it. Customer loved it. It looked absolutely horrible and that's what she wanted. Everybody laughed at me because I couldn't get a handle on "horrible". Hey I totally admit it. Those kinds of cakes are NO FUN for me anyway! :laugh:

Am I the only one here who LOVES that cake? I'd be singing the Kliban song ("Love eat them mousies") while chewing down on marzipan rat bits :laugh:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I'm not gonna look--I'll take y'all's word for it.

Blood shot eyeball cherry cordials is about as gross as I can get. And little halloween cakes with big harvest moons and pumpkins, leaf bare trees and non-vomit producing spooky looking stuff, black cats, witches, spooks etc. :cool:

I'm not gonna look--I'll take y'all's word for it.

Blood shot eyeball cherry cordials is about as gross as I can get. And little halloween cakes with big harvest moons and pumpkins, leaf bare trees and non-vomit producing spooky looking stuff, black cats, witches, spooks etc.  :cool:

Oh K8! GO LOOK!! They're so cool!! Really, especially the Thorax cake. It has complete description of what each organ is made of... I think these cakes are very well done, and I would totally eat a piece!! :biggrin:

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I think stuff like this is so fun.

Here's the web site of the person who did this, with some explanation of what was done.

Also Thorax Cake and Zombie Cake.

Oh. My. God.

I was eating my lunch. Bad thread to pick ... and did you Have to entice me to go look at that thorax thing? The arm was gross, the thorax ... how could anyone eat anything after seeing that in the flesh (sorry, bad pun not intended), never mind eating the thing itself? Ugh!

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

i also think these cakes are great! especially at this time of year. for some reason, the older i get, the more squeamish i get, but i'm still up for severed arm cake. check with me in five years :hmmm:

i do like how much research goes into making the cakes as realistic as possible. i loved that the zombie head actually had oozing blood from the eye and mouth!