• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamón Ibérico de bellota

Chef Andres,

Welcome.

Could you tell us when will be able to taste Jamón Ibérico and what steps where taken to import it into the United States.

And what makes this different than Jamon Serano.

I am really looking forward to experiencing your Minibar, I hope to visit it soon.

:rolleyes:

cyberdillo

Kevin McCarthy aka "cyberdillo"

Chef

Armadillo Beach, Dania Beach, Florida

My Webpage

"Cheese increases my check average"!

Chef Andres,

Welcome.

Could you tell us when will be able to taste Jamón Ibérico and what steps where taken to import it into the United States.

I am really looking forward to experiencing your Minibar, I hope to visit it soon.

cyberdillo

Well We need to thank Santiago Martin from Embutidos Fermin in La Alberca, Salamanca, for investing the money to make this happen. Long process and not fun.......

The good news is that the Embutidos, Spanish air-dry sausages, are here already, and that the Iberico ham will be available at the end of 2007 and the KING the Bellota Iberico ham will arrive in 2008...........................

Chef Andres,

Welcome.

cyberdillo

Well We need to thank Santiago Martin from Embutidos Fermin in La Alberca, Salamanca, for investing the money to make this happen. Long process and not fun.......

The good news is that the Embutidos, Spanish air-dry sausages, are here already, and that the Iberico ham will be available at the end of 2007 and the KING the Bellota Iberico ham will arrive in 2008...........................

Jose, would you please explain the different classes of Spanish ham? What is the difference between serrano vs iberico vs bellota vs any other distinction?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

iberico is made from a special pig! The black pig from western Spain Extremadura, andalucia,. Sometimes called pata negra because it has black hooves. They descend from the wild boars........These pgis have more intramuscular fat so more tender, sweet. A cured ham that dries and hangs until the ham master says is ready.

Sounds good? Bellota is even better. The pig is allowed to run free in the forest so it gets fattened on acorns......creates a ham that is event sweeter and nuttier. The KING of ham. Very rare and expensive but worth it. Like caviar. You taste and you want to cry is so good

Serrano is very similar process. Also a cured ham but made from common white pigs

Hola, JR. With the best ham running over 120€ / kg here in Spain, do you think that it'd be well received in the States at higher prices? Do you believe that the demand from the States will be large enough to drive prices even higher up in Spain?

Un abrazo,

Pedro

PS: You owe us a merluza en salsa verde. :wink:

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Chef Andres,

Welcome.

cyberdillo

¡Qué bien! Me falta la paciencia durante los meses hasta qhe lleguen.

Here's a dodgy one: Amongst the affecionados there is believed to be a slight difference in quality between the rignt and left hind leg and subsequently the resulting ham. This due to the animals' habitually resting only on one side and therefore giving this side an extra in vivo "tenderizing".

Any commentson this to a true "nerd of jamons"?