• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoke Joint

Daniel

The Smoke Joint

718-797-1011,

www.thesmokejoint.com

My buddy sent me a write up of this new BBQ place.. Without plagiarizing I can tell you some of the details in the email.. Craig Samuels and Ben Grossman, two chef friends that have worked together at Picholine are opening The Smoke Joint this coming Sunday.. Samuels still remains the executive chef at City Hall.. They will be closed on Mondays.. I dont know much about the restaurant or the guys but they seem like two serious chefs opening a relaxed type place.. I spoke with Craig on the phone for a short moment trying to find out when they would be open..

He certainly seems friendly and enthusiastic.. Looking forward to trying the food..They have Brisket,Ribs, Pork, Chicken and will be doing things like wings and a lot of the Southern Sides.. They will have beer and the restaurant seats 20 people..

Looking forward to going here..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I tried to go to Smoke Joint after BAM today (watching Butoh dance definitely makes you hungry for barbecue).

But despite their plans it's not open yet. (Or at least wasn't open tonight.)

It does, however, answer the burning question: what's going into the space where the Cambodian restaurant was?

I went on Sunday (the 30th). A quick pros & cons:

Pros:

Pleasant, friendly service.

Tasty pulled pork.

Excellent sides (the mac & cheese in particular).

Beer (nice, small selection).

Cons:

Beef ribs could have used longer in the oven--but then again, we sjhowed up right when they opened. You don't want to show up too late, though, as they've been selling out of food well before closing (and the beef ribs were fantastic the next day after we put 'em in the oven for awhile longer).

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

My husband and I went on Friday evening. OMG!! I'm excited that this place is here. We live in Bed-Stuy so it's nice and close to home. I had 1/2 rack of baby back ribs, macaroni & cheese, and BBQ beans. Everything was good. The beans could've been warmer but they were still delicious. My husband had the brisket and the coleslaw with mayo. I'm not a fan of coleslaw so I can't say anything about it. His brisket was wonderful. We came at just the right time. After we got our food there was a crazy line, so we came at the beginning of the dinner rush. I plan to try out the catfish next time.

This place seems to be a winner.

I've never had indigenous barbecue, so I'm not qualified to judge. But I know what I like. The pulled pork was good. (It seemed odd to me that they didn't serve me a slice of bread with it.) But while I was waiting for my order, they gave me a couple of ribs to munch on. The ribs were (in my worthless uneducated opinion) just great. Tasty dry rub, tangy sauce, meat tender but not mushy (I like it with a tiny bit of snap to it). I can't wait to have more.

Also, the brisket looked really good.

Fun beer selection.

Decent cole slaw, good (but not, I think, great) beans.

Really nice people.

Except for the desserts (always Biscuit's strong point), better than Biscuit ever was.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

ok, the beef ribs are pretty good.

the hot dog is absolutely fricking terrific. better than any I've had in NY (other than arguably the Chicago-style at the Shake Shack...which really isn't comparable...it's such a different style).

sides were serviceable.

local beer selection is quite good.

The hot dogs are Niman Ranch I believe - topped with pulled pork and bbq beans and cole slaw is hard to beat.

The baby back are also good - smoked then braised.

The pulled pork is good but not great - in my opinion the defining dish of a bbq place.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to be in NY on Saturday for a Yankees / Red Sox game at 4pm, and planon going to the Brooklyn Botanical garden in the morning. Does anyone know what the lunch crowds will be like on a Saturday? I figure we'll want to leave for the stadium by 2:30 at the latest (by train), but can we expect to wait for a lunch table as well?

OT: Also, anyone have any idea how long it will take by train to get to the Stadium?