• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A bright corner on a dark street

Buenas tardes José--

I live in Madrid now--but I arrived in DC the same year that you did and lived there for a decade and, so, have followed your rising star closely. Jaleo was a home away from home for us. And now we watch you from half-way around the world a few afternoons a week cooking away. Congratulations on all that you have accomplished.

A few questions:

About 13 years ago, a cousin (a banker) took us to Jaleo for the first time. He told us that your restaurant had the power to spark a revolution that would turn the whole neighborhood around (and also encouraged us--young and poor as we were--to find a way to invest in the neighborhood. How I wish we had!)

How did you choose this first, rather risky, location? (And what was there before?)

Did you have a sense that you were creating something bigger than just one restaurant? Did you ever dream of how the cultural seed you planted would blossom?

And one last question:

I know that you have been very committed to the wonderful organization, DC Central Kitchen. Do you have other plans--along the lines of Adria's Alicia Foundation, for example--to bring your experience and research to an even broader community?

Buenas tardes José--

I live in Madrid now--but I arrived in DC the same year that you did and lived there for a decade and, so, have followed your rising star closely. Jaleo was a home away from home for us. And now we watch you from half-way around the world a few afternoons a week cooking away. Congratulations on all that you have accomplished.

A few questions:

About 13 years ago, a cousin (a banker) took us to Jaleo for the first time. He told us that your restaurant had the power to spark a revolution that would turn the whole neighborhood around (and also encouraged us--young and poor as we were--to find a way to invest in the neighborhood. How I wish we had!)

How did you choose this first, rather risky, location? (And what was there before?)

Did you have a sense that you were creating something bigger than just one restaurant? Did you ever dream of how the cultural seed you planted would blossom?

And one last question:

I know that you have been very committed to the wonderful organization, DC Central Kitchen. Do you have other plans--along the lines of Adria's Alicia Foundation, for example--to bring your experience and research to an even broader community?

Well My partner Roberto Alvarez, whom is the Ambassador of Dominican Republic in Washington DC right now, was the visionary..........................Yes in America a restaurant can be the motor that influences an entire community....

Well being the chairman in the CIA conference WORLD OF FLAVORS is a way for me to influence America................I have the THINK food TANK wich will be my way to share with any one interested my ways and vision of the cooking world....

Well My partner Roberto Alvarez, whom is the Ambassador of Dominican Republic in Washington DC right now, was the visionary.

My wife is Dominican, from Santiago and was very excited to hear about your partner. She wants to know if you have ever been to DR and if you have ever experienced Dominican "comida tipica"?

Yes in America a restaurant can be the motor that influences an entire community....

Do you have plans to expand into other US cities? Atlanta for example seems perfect and ripe for the "minibar" concept.

-mike y andrea

-Mike & Andrea