• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Linda's Chicken, West Caldwell - CLOSED

JrZyChris

Honestly, I can't comment on the regular meals served here - they had what I thought was a fantastic salad, where you choose the base salad (Romaine or Mixed Greens) and then pick from a variety of toppings, including roasted chicken. They put it all together and mixed it up for you. By far, my favorite place for a salad within a reasonable distance from work. I drove over yesterday, after only having been there last week, and there was a sign "Closed - Lost our Lease"

I guess I should have realized when the only selection for the base salad last week was ICEBERG :hmmm:

BUMMER!!

Suggestions for a good salad in the W/O - Caldwell area? (I know there is a salad thread somewhere but I can't really hunt for it now)

Honestly, I can't comment on the regular meals served here - they had what I thought was a fantastic salad, where you choose the base salad (Romaine or Mixed Greens) and then pick from a variety of toppings, including roasted chicken.  They put it all together and mixed it up for you.  By far, my favorite place for a salad within a reasonable distance from work.  I drove over yesterday, after only having been there last week, and there was a sign "Closed - Lost our Lease"

I guess I should have realized when the only selection for the base salad last week was ICEBERG  :hmmm:

BUMMER!!

Suggestions for a good salad in the W/O - Caldwell area?  (I know there is a salad thread somewhere but I can't really hunt for it now)

There is Tossed in Livingston, but they are a little expensive.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Linda's Chicken was my first job in high school. If I remember correctly, they had 3 stores at the time and the West Caldwell location was their best performer. Food was on par with Boston Market.

Oh! I didn't know they were still around. There used to be one on Route 35 in Woodbridge (I think) and they had the best chicken and the most amazing macaroni and cheese.

Boston Chicken (now Boston Market) opened across the street, and Kenny Rogers Roasters opened in the area, and that was that :sad:

Must have been 15 years ago or so. Does that sound right?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

That's about right. I grew up in Woodbridge (Colonia) and work in Rahway, so I went to the Linda's on rt 35 many times. I believe that Boston Market opened well after Linda's closed, but I could be wrong. Both similar, but I seem to remember Linda's chicken being a little dryer. I loved driving by and seeing the flames from the chicken clearly visible through the window. There used to be another Linda's on rt 27 in either Edison or Highland Park.

John the hot dog guy

John, yes! I remember seeing the flames through the window. And being drawn in every time.

I do think Boston Chicken opened before Linda's closed because I remember thinking they caused it. Sigh!

eta: I'm in Colonia!

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Linda's Chicken was my first job in high school.  If I remember correctly, they had 3 stores at the time and the West Caldwell location was their best performer.  Food was on par with Boston Market.

From what I remember, there was also a Linda's Chicken for awhile in Westwood, up in Bergen County. This must have been at least 10 years ago.

I'll really miss their potato salad ... it had a really good flavor to it ... but I guess you can't pay the bills on potato salad sales alone ... honestly, Costco (Wayne) makes a really good roasted chicken for $4.99 ...

Edited by jim07044 (log)

Imo, that's the best roasted chicken you can buy! $4.99, and it's huge chicken--not one of those scrawny ones you'd get at Whole Foods or Kings or any other supermarket...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Imo, that's the best roasted chicken you can buy!  $4.99, and it's huge chicken--not one of those scrawny ones you'd get at Whole Foods or Kings or any other supermarket...

At $4.99 the Costco roasted chicken gives you the best bang for your buck. For a couple of dollars more, the Kosher roasted chicken at Shop Rite is a nice alternative without having to deal with the Costco crowd.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

At $4.99 the Costco roasted chicken gives you the best bang for your buck.  For a couple of dollars more, the Kosher roasted chicken at Shop Rite is a nice alternative without having to deal with the Costco crowd.

Interesting...I don't think my SR offers that. Will check next time I go, though! Thanks for the tip.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Imo, that's the best roasted chicken you can buy!  $4.99, and it's huge chicken--not one of those scrawny ones you'd get at Whole Foods or Kings or any other supermarket...

At $4.99 the Costco roasted chicken gives you the best bang for your buck. For a couple of dollars more, the Kosher roasted chicken at Shop Rite is a nice alternative without having to deal with the Costco crowd.

A slight veer off topic, but I've always wished that Costco would create an express lane for 10 items of less or whatever, just for such "I only want this chicken" occasions.

Interesting...I don't think my SR offers that. Will check next time I go, though! Thanks for the tip.

I go to the West Orange Shop Rite in the Essex Green Mall.

A slight veer off topic, but I've always wished that Costco would create an express lane for 10 items of less or whatever, just for such "I only want this chicken" occasions.

I've often had that wish myself, but I think it goes against what Costco stands for, and that's buying items in mass quantities and generally stocking up on items.

What I'd really like to see is if they'd have more than 2 registers open during times that aren't so busy, and more than 5 when the store is insanely crowded. The way they run it, it doesn't seem to matter when you go--you'll wait on line forever.

Good to know about the SR in the Essex Green Mall, I always avoided it because the parking looks horrid.

Luckily for me, someone in my family deals with the Costco crowds well, but that Kosher chicken sounds tempting... I may stop in after work (9-10pm) if they're open that late.

Don't even bother trying to get a kosher rotesserie chicken at the WO Shop Rite late on a Friday night. The kosher department closes early on Fridays - not open on Saturday either - and they sell out pretty early. The chickens are good but are on the small side.

• 8 months later...