• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MPW comes out of retirement

Could be worse. Things started going wrong post-MPW, with the patently false dichotomy drawn between Ramsay and Blumenthal (I am better than MPW/I am not MPW). Food can be good without either being mired in a static past, or being wantonly progressive.

Perhaps we in the U.K. should backtrack a little and take up some of the less obvious threads; i.e. not those that lead to fame, fortune and extensive media coverage, but those that lead to decent food.

Edited by Zoticus (log)

• 3 months later...

I think a stock cube is sometimes fine to use, not every home kitchen I suppose has fresh stock daily. MPW's positive approach to such staples as HP, worcestershire sauce etc is refreshing. The use of such home grown products shows a Marco's true belonging to the UK.

Edited by RDB (log)

God bless zoticus and his wanton use of Greek mythology references, and for that matter his child like grinning.

Stock cubes are still shit though, and a million miles away from umami

I also deplore stock cubes, but they certainly provide plenty of umami! MSG by itself is a far better booster, though I would not countenance its use in occidental cuisines.

Goodness, if I could bear to part with my trio of MPW books I could make a fortune ! There's a paperback of WH on ebay now for £69 !

Clearly people don't know that the paperback is being re-released on 15th September in all its glory and is available at Amazon for £8.99! They need to read Jay's piece!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?