• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MPW comes out of retirement

oh, you got the point?  strange.

Okay Scott, no need to be insulting.

clearly I disagree :laugh:

but the real truth is that if you are asking for "proof" of this distinction, you clearly don't get the point.

I see, so you were merely regurgitating a few cliches, and didn't expect to be called on them. So why didn't you say so in the first place?

Edited by Scott (log)

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

MPW creative?? No way. He was brilliant at cooking, a total perfectionist. But he didn't really stand out for his creativity. Evidence?? First hand.

Could some one tell me how a 3 michelin star chef could not be creative please?

it's a question of degree. no one would compare the creativity of Savoy to Veyrat for example. not that this means there isn't creativity required or involved - just that some more so than others.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

• 1 month later...
You've had a turbulent relationship with Ramsay over the years. How do you view the Ramsay phenomenon?

I've got to be careful what I say about Gordon, as I'm about to issue legal proceedings against him. I don't know how often he cooks in Royal Hospital Road, or how often he wears an apron now, with his busy schedule. In the end, if you stretch yourself, the food can no longer be personal and the only way to achieve a standard is to cook by numbers.

It sounds like Hell’s Kitchen is going to be interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Heres a 50 minute interview/ Q&A with MPW, it looks like a promotional tour he's doing in the States for his auto-biog.

He mentions Albert Roux, Molecular Gastronomy, Ramsay, Hells Kitchen, Heston and not forgetting Knorr!!

Paul

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Heres a 50 minute interview/ Q&A with MPW, it looks like a promotional tour he's doing in the States for his auto-biog.

He mentions Albert Roux, Molecular Gastronomy, Ramsay, Hells Kitchen, Heston and not forgetting Knorr!!

Paul

Does he really believe what he's saying? He starts off going on about how important science is for cooking and how much its influenced his cooking, and later he talks about how he doesn't understand some of heston's scientific reasoning..

He starts off going on about how important science is for cooking and how much its influenced his cooking, and later he talks about how he doesn't understand some of heston's scientific reasoning..

That's because even if HB does employ the vocabulary of science, what he does is not reasoned and hence not scientific.

He starts off going on about how important science is for cooking and how much its influenced his cooking, and later he talks about how he doesn't understand some of heston's scientific reasoning..

That's because even if HB does employ the vocabulary of science, what he does is not reasoned and hence not scientific.

Good point.

Interesting that Heston did 6-8 months with MPW, thats certainly not something i had heard before!

Using Knorr to season his sauces instead of salt? In the interview MPW says he's like a child, when he wakes up he wants to play. Well, I think he's playing with us all on this one.

Fascinating interview though, despite the interviewer's obsession with educating the younger generation or whatever he was going on about. Couldn't help but think of Jimmy Saville during some of MPW's proclamations however. Well, they're both from Leeds aren't they?

Of course, if he'd said 'umami hit', then he'd have had modern foodies eating out of his ring-piece.

"Umami hit in the mouth". You always have to say "in the mouth" when talking about Molecular Gastronomy - it's the goddamn culinary law, 'kay?

In the interview MPW says he's like a child, when he wakes up he wants to play.

Perhaps if he'd said that he wants to play in 'sweetshop', and said it with an 'impish grin', we could take him a bit more seriously.

It's funny , this chefly enthusiasm for stock cubes. They are instantly recognisable and all disgusting. The very discreet use of MSG is actually far preferable, though I'm certainly not advocating it in western cuisines.

It's funny , this chefly enthusiasm for stock cubes. They are instantly recognisable and all disgusting. The very discreet use of MSG is actually far preferable, though I'm certainly not advocating it in western cuisines.

This is the irony; stock cubes are mainly hydrolyzed protein, which is essentially MSG, which is what gives the 'umami hit in the mouth' -- (grins impishly, much like a child in sweetshop). Now if you say you use Knorr, modern foodies will turn on you quicker than Actaeon's hounds, but if you say umami, they will queue around the block in order to get their chests autographed.

This is the irony; stock cubes are mainly hydrolyzed protein, which is essentially MSG, which is what gives the 'umami hit in the mouth' -- (grins impishly, much like a child in sweetshop). Now if you say you use Knorr, modern foodies will turn on you quicker than Actaeon's hounds, but if you say umami, they will queue around the block in order to get their chests autographed.

True-but HVP has a really disgusting flavour and smell that pure MSG doesn't have. Far less bad.