• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fa la la la la, la la la La-ne Cake

Sarabeth

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I am a novice baker. Cook, yes. Baker, no. But, after creating a (and I say this humbly) fabulous 4 Layer Walnut-Spice Cake with Caramel Frosting, I am beginning to think that I can do this.

So.....

I'd like to make a Lane Cake to surprise my southern inlaws for the holidays. I have found a few recipes, but I was wondering if any of you lovely people had some tried and true recipes that I might be able to take a peek at.

I'm thinking that if all goes well, maybe I could create "mini" Lane Cakes for our annual Christmas Party... maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

Meanwhile, to continue my baking education, I'm making a S'mores Tart that I found online that uses a honey marshmallow for the topping. I'll take pictures if it turns out.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

The Edna Lewis & Scott Peacock book "The Gift of Southern Cooking" has a very interesting lane cake recipe in it.

Aside from that one recipe, the book is amazing and well worth a purchase.

-mike

-Mike & Andrea

Your walnut caramel cake sounds fabulous.

Interesting~~I made a lane cake once for my Southern in-law's 40th anniversary. It was cool. But my level of appreciation for it fell short of the drama that is written surrounding the cake. I wanted something uber special and it was cool. What I had was a white cake with a fruity filling and some melodramic history tossed in that few if any seemed to be aware of. I mean I only made it once as I recall and I never had it otherwise anywhere.

No offense to any lovers of lane cake. But by the way who & where are you??? :biggrin:

I think it needs to be splashed with a nice liqueur to be more fun. Not overly doused just a nice bit of some kind of splash--Grand Marnier is my default--seems to work with most everything. But any number of different ones would be nice. So it's a cool cake and I'm not trying to discourage you at all. That's just my experience with it.

Splash = simple syrup + flavoring such as an extract or a liqueur

:raz: I am a member of the Lane family (married into) and I do not enjoy Lane Cake. I object to the raisins and candied cherries. The holiday cake in the John Lane family is Italian Cream Cake or Hummingbird Cake. The John Lanes' are transplanted Southerners :hmmm:

K8's suggestion of a boozy Lane cake can only be an improvement.

"A few days ago, I heard a doctor talking on television about the dangers of stress. It can kill you. It can cause a heart attack or stroke. The doctor listed many ways of coping with stress. Exercise. Diet Yoga. Talk a walk. I yelled, "Bake cookies." I often talk to the television. I yelled it again and again. The doctor went on with his list of 12 ways to reduce stress and he never once mentioned my sure-fire treatment......"

Maida Heatter

:raz: I am a member of the Lane family (married into) and I do not enjoy Lane Cake. I object to the raisins and candied cherries. The holiday cake in the John Lane family is Italian Cream Cake or Hummingbird Cake. The John Lanes' are transplanted Southerners  :hmmm: 

K8's suggestion of a boozy Lane cake can only be an improvement.

Oh my gosh that's too funny! I saw your name and I thought oops I stepped on some toes. But I mean really--it's touted as rivaling manna from heaven and well, it falls far far short in my opinion. Maybe just down the bottle if you make the cake.

:biggrin:

I like the Grand Marnier suggestion. I was wondering if it might be a little dry. When I made the walnut spice cake I used a splash of Praline Liquor to jazz it up a little and I think it made a huge difference.

One of the recipes that I've found actually mentions using dried apricots and cherries (rather than candied). I was worried that it might not be "traditional" enough, but I would personally appreciate the cherries over raisins, which I'm not a big fan of.

I'll look into the Lewis/Peacock recipe, as well. Anything from that duo can only be good.

I'll keep you posted! :biggrin:

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard