• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

24 bunches of green onions with no tops..

thecuriousone

Hi All-

i have 24 bunches of green onions that have no tops. Any suggestions on how I can use them? My first thoughts were tabbouleh or I remember a jerk seasoning recipe in Fine cooking that used lots of green onions. I would appreciate any suggestions, because they will probably end up chopped and frozen in a plastic bag. Thanks for any suggestions!!

Cut off roots, braise the onions in chicken or beef stock, drain well, and nestle into a buttered gratin. Top with a nice gentle bechamel, top that with a scatter of cheese, and bake til golden.

Braise as above, top with slices of brie or reblochon, rind and all, and bake in a very slow oven for thirty minutes or so, til the cheese oozes and the little bits of green peeking through are withering and shining a bit.

Cut, confit, and serve for special meals during the holidays.

Or make packets: Tear two pieces of foil, stack, butter a circle about the size of a salad plate. Lay out six or eight of the little onions on the butter, salt a bit, and top with with a nice thick pork chop or chicken breast. Salt, scatter thyme or a little curl of sage, top with sliced potatoes or baby carrots or several rings of red or gold bell pepper. Top with a spoonful of stock or fond or geleed cold stock.

Or, heck, with a little spoonful right out of the Campbell's "Cream of" can.

Fold up into a tight fold, with a little room left ballooned out for the steam to work, and bake for an hour at 325.

Serve in the packet (be careful opening), with a salad, fruit salad, or green vegetable.

Trim and wash the onions, then freeze in double Freezer bags, to make any of the above when needed.

Cut off roots, braise the onions in chicken or beef stock, drain well, and nestle into a buttered gratin.  Top with a nice gentle bechamel, top that with a scatter of cheese, and bake til golden.

Braise as above, top with slices of brie or reblochon, rind and all, and bake in a very slow oven for thirty minutes or so, til the cheese oozes and the little bits of green peeking through are withering and shining a bit.

That sounds good!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I took so long to reply

Cajun Shrimp stew recipe:

2lbs fresh large gulf shrimp peeled & de-veined

1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup shortning or lard

1 med onion diced

2 bunches green onions chopped reserve 1/4 cup of tops for garnish

3 to 6 toes garlic (depending on size) fine diced or pressed

1/4 cup chopped celery

4 to 6 cups of seafood stock or water ( more if needed)

salt & pepper to taste

Make a med dark roux or a 2 beer roux =

( the time it takes to drink 2 beers before they get hot.)

after roux is to color add onions & celery continue stirring for 5 min

add stock, garlic, salt & pepper

cook for 45 min then add shrimp cook for 15 min & serve over hot white rice.

with french bread

garnish with green onion tops