• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting item on the Rockpool Melbourne menu

From the Rockpool Melbourne menu:

http://www.rockpool.com/common/newsletter_...e_rp.aspx?id=21

It's interesting to see that they've got Iberico ham on the menu. It wasn't that long ago that customs allowed roquefort into Australia. So, will we be seeing unpasteurized foie gras in Australia soon?

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

From the Rockpool Melbourne menu:

http://www.rockpool.com/common/newsletter_...e_rp.aspx?id=21

It's interesting to see that they've got Iberico ham on the menu.  It wasn't that long ago that customs allowed roquefort into Australia.  So, will we be seeing unpasteurized foie gras in Australia soon?

Well, there must be some left over from Chicago! :wink:

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

It's interesting to see that they've got Iberico ham on the menu.  It wasn't that long ago that customs allowed roquefort into Australia.  So, will we be seeing unpasteurized foie gras in Australia soon?

All that's required for Iberico is compliance with curing times stipulated by FSANZ and someone willing to spend the money for that compliance and verification at source. Foie gras unpasteurised? Not a chance, if I understand current food policy correctly.

Edited by lamington (log)

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

All that's required for Iberico is compliance with curing times stipulated by FSANZ and someone willing to spend the money for that compliance and verification at source. Foie gras unpasteurised? Not a chance, if I understand current food policy correctly.

There was a date set for the "legalisation" of unpasteurised foie gras imports into Australia, I believe it was the end of 2006 or sometime in 2007, but that has just been pushed back because of an outbreak of Newcastle's disease in France.

Wondering if foie gras from other producers, eg the USA, may be OK; surely the outbreak of a disease in one country cannot result in a worldwide ban for importation of the product (unless there is some other hidden agenda).

Daniel, when I was in Melbourne in late September, MoVida on Hosier Lane was also serving sliced Iberico ham as a tapa ($10 per 10 grams). Didn't try it as I was pigging out on their gorgeous mushrooms and other delights.

You can also find Iberico on the menu at Rockpool in Sydney.

Edited by Julian Teoh (log)
Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink

there are some sympathetic 'producers' of foie gras lurking about... difficult to find, but if you know of anyone with geese...

i knew of someone in Ruffy, Victoria... hmmm....

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Asparagus with Biodynamic Hens Egg 60 versus 65 Theory, Croutons and Warm Herb Vinaigrette $24.00

Anyone know what the hell they are talking about?

I assume they are refering to the size of the eggs, but what's the theory?

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

I'm taking a guess here, but I think 65 degrees celcius is the minimum temperature that you can cook an egg and kill harmful bacteria in the egg.

I've had a dish at Interlude where they poached an egg at 65 degrees (or thereabouts) for three hours, with some very impressive results. The egg whites end up in a jelly-like texture, but softer.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Asparagus with Biodynamic Hens Egg 60 versus 65 Theory, Croutons and Warm Herb Vinaigrette $24.00

Anyone know what the hell they are talking about?

I don't care what the explaination is, thats the worst sounding dish I've ever heard.

PS: I am a guy.

speaking of beautiful cured hams ive only ever found one to top iberico pate negra its called il culatello its an italian specialty if u get a chance check out the site www.maialarte.com the cost beat iberico too whooaaaaaaaa extrmely hard to find but unbielivable flavour and the process is amazing they only take the centre of the thigh have a read those fellow cured meat lovers working in europe at the moment im spoiled with it all its great to see more places in melb showcasing it although the ridiculous prices im sure will never see variety and amount change much for now im indulging :):):):):)

Il Nostro Baretto at the GPO has had culatello once or twice, and I know that Ladro sometimes has it too.

In terms of purchasing... strange enough, I've only bought it in Lorne...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"