• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Paprika

Basilgirl

Dry or paste rub for grilled chicken.

Rough chop an onion and a couple cloves garlic. Drop them in your blender or food processor with a couple teaspoons (maybe tablespoons) smoked paprika, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp salt, pepper, olive oil. Pulse to puree.

Spread over a butterflied chicken and marinate for a couple hours before grilling.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Dry or paste rub for grilled chicken.

Rough chop an onion and a couple cloves garlic.  Drop them in your blender or food processor with a couple teaspoons (maybe tablespoons) smoked paprika, 1 tsp oregano,  1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp salt, pepper, olive oil.  Pulse to puree.

Spread over a butterflied chicken and marinate for a couple hours before grilling.

If you are a first time user, go with the teaspoons first! It's a lovely taste but can be overpowering until you get used to it - my 2c!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have to restrain myself from using smoked paprika, or I'd get sick of it from using it on everything. But things I absolutely love it for:

On deviled eggs, especially pimento cheese deviled eggs (1 part pimento cheese, 1 part egg yolk for the filling, mayo to thin)

With potatoes -- roasted or home fries -- along with onions and bacon. Man, is it good with potatoes.

For curing pork -- this or chipotle is a great way to make up for the fact that I don't have a smoker, so I can cure pork belly and get that undeniable bacon flavor.

With fish -- smoked paprika and a couple other things on a fillet, bronze it, serve it with rice and it goes with just about any sauce you feel like ... tomato, cream, demiglace, or just a squeeze of lemon juice. This was my default way of cooking trout for probably about a year, couple times a month.

Check out the links to the recipes Docsconz supplies at the bottom of his introduction to Jose Andres who is the featured guest in this week's Spotlight Conversation. Your new purchase is pimenton which Whole Foods has just started to carry in sweet, bittersweet and hot flavors.

If you haven't looked at a copy of the cookbook Tapas, do. Pimento appears as an ingredient throughout the text. Earlier publications that introduce Spanish food to English-speaking home cooks may not specify pimenton since it was not widely available when they were written. They may still prove a source for inspiration since you can substitute the real thing whenever recipes call for paprika.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I marinade flank steak in a mixture of smoked paprika, pepper, olive oil, chopped shallots, red wine or balsamic, cayenne pepper and Worchester sauce. I am ashamed but the recipe is based on a similar marindade I found on the Food Network website created by Rachel Ray. It adds an awesome, yet subtle flavor to the flank steak. This is by far the best non-soy sauce based marinade for this cut of meat that I have tried.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

A very easy condiment for is to use it in a sort of onion pickle. Sweat an onion in olive oil until very soft and beginning to brown. Add smoked paprika to taste (start with 1 t for a medium onion) and a couple of tablespoons of red wine vinegar and cook for another minute.

The original recipe (from Food and Wine, I think) used sweet paprika and was part of the condiments for fish tacos. Keep in mind that the flavor will overpower something delicate.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Mackerel fillets, roasted skin side down in a hot oven, then slicked generously with good olive oil and sprinkled with finely chopped garlic and smoked paprika. Serve with a wedge of lemon. Think this came from the Moro cookbook. Very simple and nicely cuts the oiliness of the fish.

Yippee for this timely thread. I have just bought some smoked paprika and my next chore was to search for the two threads I remember there being on paprika.

I am drooling thinking of dinner tomorrow.

:smile::smile::smile:

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Smoked paprika on olive oil basted egg for breakfast today...

gallery_15437_3722_364093.jpg

OY! How do I get the saliva off my screen? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog