• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The rise of non-Spanish tapas

As tapas becomes more popular in the US, I've also noticed the rise of numerous non-Spanish cuisine restaurants that serve typically American cuisine in the format of tapas: small dishes often accompanied with wine. Here in Austin, we have 219 West, which you can see their menus online. I would guess that there are similar establishments in DC with which you are familar.

Do you think this movement embracing smaller dishes is a positive change for the US dining scene? Are there fundamental elements of the tapas format that these American restaurant are failing to consider when designing their dishes -- or in other words, what criticism would you offer to these restaurants?

Edited by Kent Wang (log)

As tapas becomes more popular in the US, I've also noticed the rise of numerous non-Spanish cuisine restaurants that serve typically American cuisine in the format of tapas: small dishes often accompanied with wine. Here in Austin, we have 219 West, which you can see their menus online. I would guess that there are similar establishments in DC with which you are familar.

Do you think this movement embracing smaller dishes is a positive change for the US dining scene? Are there fundamental elements of the tapas format that these American restaurant are failing to consider when designing their dishes -- or in other words, what criticism would you offer to these restaurants?

Listen the small concept TAPAS is a way of eating in Spain...........Thanks to Nouvelle Cuisine we were able to experience tasting menus that allow us to experience more dishes from the same chef on the same meal...Great.........But we need to difference Gastronomic menus like MINIBAR with 34 courses, here is an art form....

Everyday restaurants like Jaleo, the TAPAS concept gives the client the chance to order as little or as much as they want. Obesity is a big problem and we need to move a way from the 1 pound plate of protein...Our body can not deal with it and our Planet also...

Other cultures have their own small plates Dim-Sum, Mezze, Sushi is a small plate concept........So enjoy the freedom that gives you