• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Cake

scout

A girlfriend of mine is getting married in January and wanted to get some recommendations for places to get a wedding cake.

Any suggestions you could send along would be appreciated. The wedding is on the small side – approx. 20-30 people. She’s looking for something unique, but not too ornate, and most important, it must taste good. :smile:

Thanks,

Scout

Anyone know the price range of a Ganache cake?

I will also be checking "Sugar Art" - A small well known cake maker in Richmond for our wedding cake.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

If you want something simple - we wanted carrot cake (mmm, cream cheese icing) - try Moore's Bakery in Kerrisdale. They made a simple but beautiful two-tiered carrot cake (for 100 people), even providing us with a complimentary small 'sampler' cake a month before the wedding to ensure we approved. They decorated it with the orchids that were part of our decor theme. Not sure that this would be the place for something more complex though . . ..

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

My friend is getting hers from Cakes by Meg.

Wow! I like some of the styles she does! Thanks for this link I didn't even know Meg existed till now... :biggrin:

I better work out a bunch before we go 'cake testing'

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the suggestions. There's a few in there I had not heard of before.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed my pal will invite me along for some 'cake testing' soon.

We had Trafalgar's Sweet Obsessions: SO Link do our cake and it was beautiful and delicious (whte chocolate raspberry mousse is what we had)!

They actually used to have pictures of it on their website, but I guess they got tossed out in the latest redesign :hmmm:

• 4 months later...

Any idea who makes wedding mini-cakes? Like cupcakes or mini-cakes? Obviously cupcakes makes cupcakes. I think Anna's makes mini cakes. Any other bakery?

I vaguely remember seeing mini-cakes the last time I was at Ganache; however, I could be sadly mistaken. Still, it's definitely worth a call. You could also try Haas.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I vaguely remember seeing mini-cakes the last time I was at Ganache; however, I could be sadly mistaken.  Still, it's definitely worth a call.  You could also try Haas.

Thanks Moosh, I'll give them a call!