• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Wine Country Lunch

docsconz

My wife and I will be in the Napa Valley early next month for the Worlds of Flavor Conference on Spain and the World Table at CIA/Greystone. Our meals are essentially covered for the conference. Unfortunately we will be heading home directly after. We arrive on Wednesday with dinner at The French laundry that night. The conference starts Thursday evening leaving us with only one lunch spot to fill. We will be meeting an old College friend of my wife's for that lunch. I had hoped to go to The General's Daughter, but alas, it is not open for lunch. Restaurants under consideration include Redd's, Bouchon, Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen and Go Fish!

Please let me know what you think soon as time for reservations is passing. You know I will report back :wink: Thanks.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

You will have a lovely time at the conference and your meals are MORE than essentially covered - you will be stuffed to the gills! (I attended the last five years but, alas, will be out of the country for this year's conference).

In order of my preference for a single lunch in Napa, I would recommend the following:

Pilar

Redd

Bouchon

Take pictures at the conference!

Either Jeanty or Bouchon if you're looking for bistro food - both are quite good, if Jeanty has deep fried smelt on the menu the day you're going I'd go there, otherwise Bouchon. My experience at Redd has been less than fantastic, I've found the restaurant much more focused on style than flavor. Cindy's is a train wreck similar to Mustards and Brix, I'd pass on a free meal at any of the three.

Given that mushroom season will be in full swing I'd go to the Martini House - I haven't been in about a year, but there is no better time to visit than when porcini, chanterelles, and matsutake are popping out of the forest floor.

Too bad you'll miss the General's Daughter, I wish they would open for lunch. the girl and the fig in Sonoma has been a favorite of ours for lunch for many years. We have also enjoyed very good meals at Bistro Jeanty in Yountville.

We have yet to try anything in Napa itself, always in a hurry to get to get to the St. Helena/Yountville places. :)

no matter what you're welcome to say hi at the model bakery. i'll propose a "breakfast sandwich" of an english muffin with canadian bacon, egg, and cheese.

bouchon is the only restaurant i've been to that you've mentioned and it is good.

have fun; life is good in the napa valley

My husband and I had an excellent meal at Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen. It had a very local vibe, and the food was vibrant and fresh. I had a squash soup that I can still taste (and we were there last December!) and the rabbit tostado, which seems to be a house favorite. My husband had the duck and he still talks about it. I highly recommend it.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

I knew this would complicate matters :biggrin: Thanks for the input. I currently have a reservation at Redd's, but may change to Bouchon, Cindy's BSK or Go Fish! The only reason I didn't go Bouchon in the first place was because of TFL the night before. I know they are different styles...to a point. What is most representative of the Napa Valley?

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

have fun; life is good in the napa valley

No doubt!

Twitter - @docsconz

I started to get excited about Martini House with their mushrooms and other wild, foraged ingredients until I discovered that they are only open for lunch on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. :sad:

Twitter - @docsconz

What is most representative of the Napa Valley?

Wow...That's like asking what restaurant is most representative of NYC...but I get your drift.

Truthfully, of the restaurants you've mentioned, and IN MY OPINION...Redd is the place you want to go...especially if you've never been. We've eaten there for both lunch & dinner 6+ times since they've opened, and they are consistently good. Dave's suggestion of Martini House is also good, but I tend to think Richard is a bit more cutting edge than Todd is.

I love Cindy's, Bistro Jeanty, and have been twice now to Go Fish, and am going again this Friday. Thay are all very good, but I know you've dined at The Laundry in the past and are doing so again, and, again IN MY OPINION, Richard Reddington is doing some of the most original food this side of The Laundry in the entire Napa Valley. I'd support Carrie's recommendation of Pilar, also, but her best dishes are "off the menu", and if you're bringing a friend, I'm not sure you want to do that.

I think Redd is a brilliant choice.

Edited by samgiovese (log)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

What is most representative of the Napa Valley?

Wow...That's like asking what restaurant is most representative of NYC...but I get your drift.

Truthfully, of the restaurants you've mentioned, and IN MY OPINION...Redd is the place you want to go...especially if you've never been. We've eaten there for both lunch & dinner 6+ times since they've opened, and they are consistently good. Dave's suggestioin of Martini House is also good, but I tend to think Richard is a bit more cutting edge than Todd is.

I love Cindy's, Bistro Jeanty, and have been twice now to Go Fish, and am going again this Friday. Thay are all very good, but I know you've dined at The Laundry in the past and are doing so again, and, again IN MY OPINION, Richard Reddington is doing some of the most original food this side of The Laundry in the entire Napa Valley. I'd support Carrie's recommendation of Pilar, also, but her best dishes are "off the menu", and if you're bringing a friend, I'm not sure you want to do that.

I think Redd is a brilliant choice.

Thank you Sam. My curiosity is piqued.

One question for you and others about Bouchon - I have no doubt it delivers wonderful bistro fare, but how does it compare to fine bistros elsewhere such as NYC or Paris? Is it significantly different and unique or is it simply an excellent example of the genre. Don't get me wrong, a great bistro is a wonderful thing wherever it is located, but can be found elsewhere.

Twitter - @docsconz

Bouchon is exceptional bistro fare, but it is also quintessentially Napa. If you want the full range of experimental cuisine to the highest order, than Redd is where you should go. It is innovative and exciting. You will also enjoy the comparison with TFL in so short of time.

THEN you will have your mind blown at what you will be eating at the conference....

Bouchon is exceptional bistro fare, but it is also quintessentially Napa. If you want the full range of experimental cuisine to the highest order, than Redd is where you should go. It is innovative and exciting. You will also enjoy the comparison with TFL in so short of time.

THEN you will have your mind blown at what you will be eating at the conference....

I have a reservation for Redd. For the time being, unless somehow convinced otherwise, I will keep it. The only thing giving me any doubt is Melkor's lukewarm response to it, but then that might keep me from expecting too much and being disappointed :biggrin:

I do appreciate the input I have received here and do not wish to discourage additional thoughts.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Redd and had an excellent lunch. I will post on it later on its own thread.

Twitter - @docsconz