• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appeal of Spanish food for Americans

Hola Jose!

I work in gastronomic tourism here in Barcelona, and most of our clients are Americans. So I was wondering if you had come to any conclusions about what the main appeal of Spanish (and, may I say, Catalan!) cuisine is for Americans? What are the characteristic flavours, textures and/or techniques that intrigue and entice them? What do you think they would like to know more about (or what do you think they SHOULD know more about?!)

Thanks for doing my market research for me ;-}

Kirsten

Hola Jose!

I work in gastronomic tourism here in Barcelona, and most of our clients are Americans. So I was wondering if you had come to any conclusions about what the main appeal of Spanish (and, may I say, Catalan!) cuisine is for Americans? What are the characteristic flavours, textures and/or techniques that intrigue and entice them? What do you think they would like to know more about (or what do you think they SHOULD know more about?!)

Thanks for doing my market research for me ;-}

Kirsten

American love new things.............And I love them for it.........We are an old culture, full of interesting anecdotes, ingredients........So I will say is all of those things together.....One of the first people to see and write about Catalans was the GREAT Colman Andrews....read his book and you will get what you are looking for........And also A Catalan Cookery Book: A Collection of Impossible Recipes by Irving Davis (with 11 drypoints by Nicole Fenosa) on this book you will find answers of why people love us!