• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daddy-A's Excellent French Adventure

Daddy-A

Did you find out what the deal was, with those faux-folk pictures? How did it get started, and for what reason?

No idea really. It looked like an attempt to make the city feel more "period." Unnecessary IMO, but they were still kinda fun.

I know Sentiers have many different routes. Which exact one did you take? Did you take the stock tour or did you tweak it to your needs?

We took the "Black Perigord" tour as advertised. No changes. And honestly I can't think of a single change I would make to it. Our second choice would have been one of the tours in Burgundy.

A.

What a great report! I had the pleasure of reading it upon our return from a vacation. Glad it was that way as I wouldn't have wanted to have to wait between installments; getting it all at once was great.

Beaune is a favorite place. Did you by any chance buy a cellar rat while there? Your timing was good did you see any of the wine harvest while there?

For your next walking trip you might want to check out Logis de France. They also put together some nice walking/ dining/ room packages. Usually a bit shorter than a week , but always reasonably priced.

Or, after you've visited Lyon you can head our way. Lots & lots of great walks (I have over 50 short walks stored on my computer.) We have some of the best villages & markets in all of France. Parisot is truely in La France profond.

Did you by any chance buy a cellar rat while there?

I do believe that this requires some explanation :raz::laugh:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Did you by any chance buy a cellar rat while there?

I do believe that this requires some explanation :raz::laugh:

Yes! I did buy several cellar rats!

This is for Doc: EXPLANATORY LINK

The cellar rat, or rat de cave is an adjustable candle stick ... quite ingenious actually ... that gets its name from the tail-like handle of the candlestick. Oddly enough, France was not the first time we had seen these. Just before we left for France, my wife, kids and I were staying at a cabin on Galiano Island. The owner used to live in Burgundy and had several rats de cave about the place.

We didn't see much of the harvest Dave, but we did see and smell the result: tractor after tractor hauling grapes through narrow streets , and the ever present smell of Pinot in the air. Awesome!

Your invite combined with Lucy's will certainly play a part in our next trip!

A.

Thanks for the explanation, Arne. They look pretty cool and useful.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Re cellar rats: they looked basically the same as the "courting candles" of the PA Dutch. The story is that the father of the young lady being courted exerted some measure of control over the length of the suitor's call with this candlestick. The custom was for the young man to stay until the candle burned down level with the stick, so if the day liked the guy he would push the candle high up in the candlestick. If not, he could push it down low so the visit would be over sooner rather than later.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

We didn't see much of the harvest Dave, but we did see and smell the result:  tractor after tractor hauling grapes through narrow streets , and the ever present smell of Pinot in the air.  Awesome!

Your invite combined with Lucy's will certainly play a part in our next trip!

A.

Sounds like you saw & smelled the best part.

The sooner the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Another great travelogue. Thank you so much, Arne. These cellear rats look like just the thing to give the man who has everything. Thanks for the idea!

Moderator's note: I am moving this topic from the Adventures in Eating forum to the France forum to make sure those active in the forum here have a chance to see it, and make it easier to find for future travelers interested in the regions Arne has visited.

Feel free to continue posting!