• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buñuelos

It's that wonderful time of year when buñuelos begin to crop up in pastry shops all over. I have two questions for anyone looking to give their opinion:

1) What is your favorite kind of buñuelo?

2) What pastry shop (in your opinion) makes the best buñuelos?

Brian Murdock

Madrid, Spain

Teacher/writer

www.murdockmedia.com

I've always associated buñuelos (the little doughnutty things, sometimes anisy, sometimes lemony, sometimes both, sometimes filled with chocolate cream, or custard or cream, or not...) more with lent and easter. Though it is easier to appreciate them when the weather gets colder (not that I find it that hard to appreciate them at any time of year!).

My favourites are lemony and anisy and filled with custard. yum. In Barcelona I find Escribà on the Rambla near the Boqueria market usually has lovely fresh and fluffy ones. Also one of the best for quality and variety is the posh looking pasteleria Lis on Riera Alta 19 (on the right as you approach the junction with Carme in the Raval).

Just did a quick google - wikipedia has a short but quite interesting page on buñuelos http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buñuelos (in Spanish) - and agrees they're associated with All Saints. Now I know why I'm puzzled by the seasonal connection - here in Catalunya the trad All Saints sweet is the panellet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panellet - in English) - small round sweets made mainly from ground almonds and sweet potato, and covered in various toppings (but usually pinenuts).

here in Catalunya the trad All Saints sweet is the panellet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panellet - in English) - small round sweets made mainly from ground almonds and sweet potato, and covered in various toppings (but usually pinenuts).

If I'm not mistaken, adding sweet potato (bonyato) or even potato is just a trick to make the dough cheaper (since the expensive ingredient is the almond). However, the traditional version of panellets is made just with almond, egg, sugar and pinenuts (piñones).

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Here in Madrid the traditional todos los santos treats are huesos de santo and buñuelos de viento. I like the simpler, creamy and less-sweet buñuelos. The ones filled with cabello de ángel and sweet potato are too sweet for me. And I try to hold out a bit longer for mazapán--if I were to start now with the huesos, there would be no stopping me until after three kings day...

Edited by butterfly (log)

If I'm not mistaken, adding sweet potato (bonyato) or even potato is just a trick to make the dough cheaper (since the expensive ingredient is the almond). However, the traditional version of panellets is made just with almond, egg, sugar and pinenuts (piñones).

Ah, interesting. Seems a popular trick, unsurprisingly.

Just found this exciting-looking video http://www.montagud.com/producto.php?refer...es=&categoria=2

it also has huesos de santo, for butterfly.

Perfect for a romantic night in, bottle of wine, popcorn, and the classic story of boy meets almond, boy grinds almond, almond meets sugar, things heat up and eventually you hear the patter of tiny panellets.

but at 45,50 euros for 18 recipes i think you're better off just buying the damn things from the pasteleria!

Just did a quick google - wikipedia has a short but quite interesting page on buñuelos http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buñuelos (in Spanish) - and agrees they're associated with All Saints. Now I know why I'm puzzled by the seasonal connection - here in Catalunya the trad All Saints sweet is the panellet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panellet - in English) - small round sweets made mainly from ground almonds and sweet potato, and covered in various toppings (but usually pinenuts).

It's funny you should mention what is typical in Barcelona. I was going to say that buñuelos were cropping up all over the country, but then I thought, "I don't know if that's true." Now you are confirming my doubts. Never tried the Panellet, but I'm sure you can find them somewhere in Madrid, so I'll keep an eye out.

As Butterfly said, Huesos del Santo (Saint's Bones, for those unfamiliar with the language) are also very typical All Saints' Day treat here in Madrid. I like them very much, but they are dense and after just a couple, I'm done.

I couldn't tell you what my favorite buñuelo is. I do like the creamy ones. The Cabello de Ángel is a good and original, but it is true its sweet. By the way, does anyone have a transaltion for Cabello de Ángel? (Not Angel Hair, because that's the pasta). I know, or think it's made from pumpkin.

Brian Murdock

Madrid, Spain

Teacher/writer

www.murdockmedia.com

The Cabello de Ángel is a good and original, but it is true its sweet.  By the way, does anyone have a transaltion for Cabello de Ángel?  (Not Angel Hair, because that's the pasta).  I know, or think it's made from pumpkin.

Cabello de ángel is candied squash (not pumpkin, but cidra--a much more fibrous squash). I've never seen this squash in America--though I've seen it in Mexico as (chila)cayote.

The Cabello de Ángel is a good and original, but it is true its sweet.  By the way, does anyone have a transaltion for Cabello de Ángel?  (Not Angel Hair, because that's the pasta).  I know, or think it's made from pumpkin.

Cabello de ángel is candied squash (not pumpkin, but cidra--a much more fibrous squash). I've never seen this squash in America--though I've seen it in Mexico as (chila)cayote.

Now that makes sense. I was always told it was "calabaza" which is usually pumpkin, but you're right, but sweet squash...hmmm I hadn't thought of that.

Brian Murdock

Madrid, Spain

Teacher/writer

www.murdockmedia.com