• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet restaurant in...Montmartre?

ecelizzy

• 4 years later...

Yesterday we stumbled upon an excellent, tiny(20 seat) gourmet spot in what I had always considered a culinary wasteland. Searching for Yohann Paran at Beauvillier we found the Cottage Marcadet at 151 bis rue Marcadet instead. It was taken over about a year ago by a serious young chef out to make his mark and is ably assisted by a knowledgeable and personable front man that knows his wines. Amuse bouches were artfully plated calamari ravioli.

gallery_21651_2781_19652.jpg

Our entrées were frog legs in a cream of sweet garlic risotta with a parsley foam,

gallery_21651_2781_4202.jpg

and langoustines, "juste saisie" and also in a kateifa croustillant served with a mango and citrus sauce.

gallery_21651_2781_33228.jpg

We shared a côte de boeuf which came nice and sagnaint as ordered, accompanied by tiny little potatos braised in "lard fermier" and girolles.

gallery_21651_2781_31394.jpg

Desserts were an excellent creme brulée, thin and quivering and served free standing with a dish of raspberry granité.

gallery_21651_2781_9430.jpg

This is not a budget place; it can't be with such limited seating and careful presentation, so if you are looking for Chartier/Polidor then keep on looking. There is a 3 course €35 menu, but we ordered à la carte and with 2 champagnes, 3 courses, a bottle of Graves, Chateldon and coffee our bill for the 2 of us was sizeable. Would I go back? As`soon as my wallet recovers. I forgot to mention that the restaurant is no smoking.

Edited by Laidback (log)

It was taken over about a year ago by a serious young chef out to make his mark and is ably assisted by a knowledgeable and personable front man that knows his wines.

John, if you can, please find out what happened to Jean-Marie Robin. Or is he the "personable front man" to whom Laidback is referring?

It's good news, in any case, if the ship is righting itself. Le Cottage Marcadet is very close to the hotel (Ermitage) where we stay in Paris. Our last visit (April 2005) was markedly worse than our earlier good experiences.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

• 5 weeks later...
It was taken over about a year ago by a serious young chef out to make his mark and is ably assisted by a knowledgeable and personable front man that knows his wines.

John, if you can, please find out what happened to Jean-Marie Robin. Or is he the "personable front man" to whom Laidback is referring?

Well, I forgot part of the charge. I did drop by today and indeed the chef is serious (at least for someone who looks 12 years old), the carte interesting and the prices right (by me at least) but I forgot to ask what happened to Jean-Marie Robin. Next time. Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 2 weeks later...