• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Potatoes in Brine

gfron1

I've never actually seen them in a can... if they are in a brine, then I assume you needn't reconstitute them. That's usually the first step (just like any other dry food, such as funghi, or tomatos)

After this process (which takes a couple of days) you add them to soups and stews, or just cook them in water like you would any potato.

btw, how did you get your hands on canned chuño?

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

btw, how did you get your hands on canned chuño?

I don't know about in New Mexico, but here in the DC area, it is on the shelves with other Peruvian items. There are also cans of oca and ullucu, and bags of dried "white" chuño. Is it unusual to find it in cans?

-L

I had never seen chuño in the States before, and in Bolivia you just buy it in the market (not from cans). I think it's a great idea, I hope they sell well. Maybe one day I will get some here in Chile.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

So, here they are:

chuno1.jpg

chuno2.jpg

chuno3.jpg

We're going to mix them in with our other potatoes for smashed potatoes and fried chicken. When we tasted them (pre-cooking) they had a nice saltiness and were very similar in flavor to pumpernickel. They were earthy and almost truffle-esque which is what inspired us to do the smashed potatoes since we were going to do truffle potatoes anyway.

chuno4.jpg