• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rotisserie Chicken To Take Home

jayt90

Rotisserie chicken to take home is almost a thing of the past in my local supermarkets and Costco. Too bad, it was great while we had it.

Most of the outlets got rid of their rotisseries and have installed convection/steam ovens dedicated to chicken. It is not nearly as good; the bursts of steam tend to stew the outside, and the front part of the bird is often pale compared to the back end. The skin can break and pull back, on the breast and legs.

I asked an employee why they did this. He said sales dropped off intially but they are building up again, as people forget about the rotisserie chicken. The raw birds are sprayed with Sprite, mixed with salt. No special spice or herb mixtures are used, though they used to. The convection/steam ovens produce more birds in less time, and the savings are significant, almost 50% in time and energy.

In addition the ovens are somewhat easier to clean up at the end of the day than the rotisseries.

Well, that's progress...

I can still find rotisserie take out in one smaller supermarket near me, a Price Chopper. And there are large chicken restaurant chains with gas fired rotisseries for take out, such as Swiss Chalet, St. Huberts, etc.

But it's a dying breed.

We can still get it at the local Albertsons and Kroger, and it's a very convienent thing for last minute gumbo, jambalaya, soup etc. I haven't noticed the change at Sam's, but I guess it's the most cost efficient way to do it. Another big trade off for a couple of cents off. Same old Same old. Support your local stores and pay an extra dollar or 2. It'll probably save you money anyway, when you don't buy all that crap that they offer at the end of every food isle! You know though, if you go at noon, it's like having lunch on the house.

I can still find rotisserie take out in one smaller supermarket near me, a Price Chopper. And there are large chicken restaurant chains with gas fired rotisseries for take out, such as Swiss Chalet, St. Huberts, etc.

But it's a dying breed.

Edited by beany (log)

I'll have to check next time I'm in both stores, but I'm pretty sure Bruno's still rotisseries theirs. I'm not sure about Sobeys though. It's been a while since I looked at their set up.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I always see them at Superstore (loblaw's) and Sobeys here...

eta: I'm not sure about Costco. I know that they didn't have them for most of the summer because they were remodelling - but haven't walked by that area in a while. I'll look next time I'm there.

It was after remodeling that my Costco threw out the rotisserie.

Beany, my area of Toronto is west Durham, Pickering, Scarborough. The easy way to check on your stores is to look at the ovens, usually easy to see: The fancy convection/steamer has five or six horizontal racks, behind a glass door. The birds behind the glass will not move! The steam vent is at the rear, left side, and will belch vapor two or three times a minute.

Marlene, Bruno's still has a lot of integrity, and they can probably get a better price than the bi chains.

I wonder what boston market uses?

Definitely rotisserie. I have seen their employees loading up the impaled birds to go inside their ovens. I have to rank Boston Market as one of the tastiest rotisserie birds but they can get pricey compared to a supermarket deli.

The local Sam's Club only charges $5 per bird but I don't care for the seasoning/marinade that they use. Publix here in Florida offers a rotisserie chicken that is marinated in Mojo Criollo which is a Carribean spanish marinade that features citrus juices and other seasonings such as garlic, black pepper, and I guess cumin.

Man, I think I am going to have to go head out to Boston Market to get reacquainted with their chicken. :biggrin:

• 8 years later...

To my tastes, the best ever purchased rotisserie chickens are those available at Costco.  I don't know if they're the same all over the country but I love mine here.

We've asked what they use to glaze the chickens but were told that they come to them already prepared.

I'd really like to do some at home and I have a countertop rotisserie that does a very good job (Cuisinart).

Does anyone have a recipe for a glaze or a rub that they particularly like?

BTW, I've found that the deli rotisserie chickens taste w-a-y better if you eat them before they're refrigerated.

The cold seems to mute all the flavor.

Edited by lindag (log)

I buy and debone at least one rotisserie chicken a day - from any source I can find (including Costco - which was yesterday's 'hot' and today's 'cold') - for my dog. That is all he eats these days (trying to wean him but he is addicted!). When I do get to buy Costco's however I have never noticed a 'glaze' on them - just that the skin is brown and shiny because of the fat dripping on it during the rotiss-ing process. I am sure they are brined however - since I haven't seen a chicken in eons that wasn't (to make us pay for the extra water as well as the bird).

Some stores do use a rub (I love the smell of one kind I buy from Sobey's where I live in Nova Scotia - with sage and other herbs - the dog doesn't care for those as much). The only ones I eat any of however are the ones from stores that use free-range chickens (wish they were organic but free-range/natural is about as close as I have ever seen) - the dog gets all the rest - and, 'dog-survey-says' he doesn't think the flavour changes much from hot to cold (but, I can say they ARE easier to debone when hot).