• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beautiful food words

Kent Wang

Velveety Yours,

SB :raz:

Truffliciously yours,

I think 'truffle' is a beautiful food word too.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

OK, I don't mind Velveetily. And I think the tapioca essay was by Calvin Trillin saying it was the most beautiful word in the English language.

Here are two more I didn't have to make up.

Salt peanuts, salt peanuts!

Shoo-fly pie and apple pan dowdy

La Vache Qui Ritalin,

--L. Rap

Edited by elrap (log)

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

That reminds me of chimichurri and piri-piri...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Feiullette--Just love how it falls, like little leaves.

Chiffonade; aguillletes; saltimbocca; baccalao.

Has anyone noticed how the Romance languages have the most melodious rhythms and usages when they're describing food?

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

From Japanese, the impossible-to-simply-translate:

sappari (light, refreshing, generally slightly acidic foods) (saw-ppa-ri, with short a sounds).

assari (light, balanced seasoning, in the sense that the natural flavors are awakened rather than hitting you over the head) (ah-ssaw-ri, also with short A sounds).

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Wonderful new words, Jason, and I love the way you translate/explain them.

The beautiful cadence of your translation reminded me of a line in Babylon 5, when Delenn, in her rich, beautiful accent, is describing her language, "It is a word which can mean two things, depending on the pronunciation. It can mean a small fish, or it can convey the joy you feel when meeting someone for the first time."

I don't know why I thought of that, but it's a lovely memory, and I'm glad for the reminder.

Macaroon.

Vinaigrette.

Souffle.

• 1 month later...

I have a feeling you are all talking about beautiful sounding words, but how out the ideas behind words?

Some of my favoriates: Umi no sachi (blessings of sea)

Yama no sachi (blessings of mountains)

In Japan, it is customary to say these words:

Itadakimasu before having a meal

and

Gochisousama or gochisousama deshita (past form) after having a meal.

No equivalents for these phrases in English.

• 2 months later...

my italian faves:

Tartufo.. much more delicious than truffles.

also, affumicato... far superior to smoked.

In arabic, my all time favorite.. Mashawi ... a catch all term like barbeque... basically any hunk of animal flesh in close proximity to an open fire.

skordalia is one of my favorites .. Greek ...

auberginesounds exotic .. purple prose or purple vegetable ... ca ne fait rien ...

mirepoix but uttered in a tiny voice ... in little bits ...

sultana ... lovely and regal way of saying "raisin" ...

Beautiful and poetic, G.G. Sweet words to start the day with here in Atlanta.

Muhammara

Tangerine

Lalanga

Şakşuka

Fesenjoon

Vindaloo

Şöbiyet

Guanabana

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria