• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beautiful food words

Kent Wang

On a tangent, I would name all my children after food terms: Basil, Ginger, Rosemary.

Excellent choices. Much more practical and long-lasting than those names of yesteryear that people used to dub their offspring with. Faith, Hope, Charity.

:wink:

These names at least are edible, and easier to live up to possibly.

But wouldn't it make you hungry every time you called their names? And can't you just hear the shrewish Sybil Fawlty screeching "Basil!"?

Better decide on the name before the pregnancy. Cravings & naming kids after food sounds like a dangerous intersection... unless losing an extra extra 20 pounds sounds like fun.

:biggrin:

I love pasta names: tagliatelle, orichette, buccatini, and farfalle. And when I was in Italian class, my favorite thing to pronounce was "aglio e oglio."

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Okay, the Most Beautiful Food Words, said or heard, are:

"Give my compliments to the chef"

or, it you prefer:

"Donnez mes compliments au chef"

SB  :biggrin:

You are so right!

The beauty of these words is only equalled by:

"you sit down, I have dinner ready"

(the dinner has to be good, of course)

or

"Here, have a hot chapati freshly made by me"

Milagai

I've noticed that a lot of the posts here are in French or Italian -- but I can't come up with a lot of beautiful food words in English, myself.

Is bibi babka a real food word? I guess it's beautiful to me, I can still do the song and the Balki portion of the dance.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Okay, the Most Beautiful Food Words, said or heard, are:

"Give my compliments to the chef"

or, it you prefer:

"Donnez mes compliments au chef"

SB  :biggrin:

So true! How about, "with our compliments," or "I'm buying."

Or, better yet, "It's on the House!" :biggrin:

SB (depending on which side of "the house" you are I guess?)

I've noticed that a lot of the posts here are in French or Italian -- but I can't come up with a lot of beautiful food words in English, myself. 

It's just inherent in the language I guess?

Compare the French Merde de Chien or Italian Merda di Cane with the English translations.

On the other hand, even though "Meatloaf" and "Roast Chicken" may not be melodious, they still taste good?

SB (thanks to Babelfish for the linguistic skills)

Compare the French Merde de Chien or Italian Merda di Cane with the English translations.

On the other hand, even though "Meatloaf" and "Roast Chicken" may not be melodious, they still taste good?

:laugh: . Yanno, my iPod Italian lessons don't cover merda di cane. But I'm still on disk 7.

:laugh: . Yanno, my iPod Italian lessons don't cover merda di cane. But I'm still on disk 7.

In the meantime, non faccia un passo in esso!

SB :wacko:

In the meantime, non faccia un passo in esso!

SB :wacko:

Not in these heels, no sirree :wink: Jean-Luc thinks "Fabby's Footwear" is a great culinary term. I kind of like kibbles and bits. It's got a nice snap to it.

Praline

Kimchi

Asafoeteda. Yeah, that's a good one, too.

Tapioca.

And I'm not the first, but I can't remember where I read that being some author's favorite word. If anyone recognizes the source, please let me know, it's starting to bother me.

But this reminds me of a related theme on which I would like your opinion, at the grave risk of partially hijacking this very nice thread (perhaps eGullet meisters will let me know if I am being rude, and should start a new one?). Anyway:

Louis Armstrong used to sign his letters, 'Red Beans and Ricely Yours.'

I spent some fun minutes coming up with:

Strawberry Jam and Cream Cheesely Yours

And the absurd, though my favorite so far:

Pickles and Poppy Seedily Yours

Anyone else?

Creme Fraichely,

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens