• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ketchup

Jay Francis

Unfortunately, most people go for taste-memory association and the colorant laden high fructose corn syrup infused Heinz ketchup rules.

There are a few things in life that start to suck the fancier you make them.

ketchup is one of those things.

Besides most things you eat with ketchup arent good for you....... :wink:

My vote goes in for All Gold Ketchup.  It is made in South Africa, has no preservatives or colorants and uses cane suger instead of that awful high fructose corn syrup.  Has a bit of a white pepper tang to it that I really like.

Homemade ketchup using fresh vine-ripened red tomatoes from the farmer's market, and following the recipe in Joy of Cooking. (You can get all the whole spices including whole mace, not easy to find, at Penzey's).

Works for me, and we've been doing this for years. Everybody at work wants to try my ketchup, so I've made extra big batches and can it, and give pint jars away!

doc

Heinz. That's it. As a kid, when we traveled to foreign countries my twin and I made my mom bring ketchup with us. Culinary brats.... I can't believe I hadn't thought of that until now...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I would have to agree with the heinz ketchup because i had just gotten back from travelling throughout europe and trust me it varies from country to country but none of them tasted "right" to me. Although when it comes to belgium fries and mayo reign supreme!

I tend to agree that "Ketchup" means the American style red stuff, all but generic in fact, but epitomized by the Heinz brand.

The other Ketchup-like condiments available are fine for particular dishes or palates, but they either don't do justice to the name, or vise versa.

SB (Heinz Guy) :rolleyes: