• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slotted turners versus solid, no-slot turners?

vkrn

Okay, folks, so with all my new posts, you've figured out why I'd suggest having an equipment forum!

Anyway, I was wondering: Are there distinct technical benefits to using a turner WITHOUT slots versus one WITH slots?

Besides the obvious draining capabilities of a slotted turner, I'd think that it'd be a pointless differential. in fact, if you're a frugal cook, I'd think that buying a slotted turner would cover all your bases, thus negating the need for a plain nonslotted turner.

I've just noticed that in those utensil sets, often a slotted and a non-slotted turner are included.... thus causing me to wonder about this question.

Yes, I tried doing research on Cook's Illustrated but couldn't find anything. And of course I searched the eGullet site before posting...

Anyway, appreciate any feedback. I'm not just being silly here--I'm quite seriously wondering.

Up at our cabin, there's an old turner with no slots. I hate it. I used it once to turn eggs while frying them, and there was some sort of suction and I could hardly get the eggs to release.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Actually there is a scientific principle for using slotted turners. You can try it yourself with anything that has a fairly smooth solid surface which you want to transfer from pan to plate, or turn over, etc.

Foods like this will cling to a solid surface but the slots will allow air to get under the item and release it more easily. If you try to transfer hot flapjacks using a solid turner, you will often find you have to push it off or turn it over to get it to release, while a slotted turner will allow it to slip off easily. I have seen other cooks actually turn a solid turner upside down and the flapjack will cling to it for a few minutes. Of course now the "presentation" side is down and the thing has to be turned again unless you don't care if the more attractive side is not showing.

Solid turners have their place too. Anything that has an uneven, bumpy or granular surface, does better with one of these. Hamburgers for instance, unless they are extremely firm, compressed slabs, the uneven bits will get caught in the slots.

I use a solid turner with pan-fried fritters or anything that is breaded or coated (such as fried green tomatoes which I prepared last night).

However, I do use a very wide, fish turner that has smaller slots or holes, to turn fish. I have a couple of the "fish spatulas" (both wide and narrow Wusthoff) and I use them for other things (great for scallops), but not for pan-fried fish. I prefer this one for softer fish.

and use the Rosle like this for heavier items such as salmon steaks, etc.

I also have one for non-stick pans that is made of black nylon.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

andiesenji, thank you sooo much for the advice. I am going to check into your product recommendations and also I'm gettin' me-self a solid turner! Never thought about the granular problem