• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Henkels Four Star "seconds" at HomeSense

I've been travelling around Edmonton and Calgary recently and found the Henckels Four Star and Professional S series chef knifes on sale as seconds at the HomeSense stores. (I would imagine there is similar stock in Vancouver.)

The prices are amazingly cheap for what I believe are only cosmetic issues on the knives. (They are made in Germany.)

The 8" chefs knife (4 star) with molded black handle is $19.!! and normally is closer to $80. The paring knives are $9.00. Of course different stores have different stock but one store had 10" Professional S chefs knives (more classic style of handle), bread slicers, tomato knives etc. In Calgary the one store I tried had less choice but at these prices I have backup knives for years to come.

By the way, as I said, I do believe the problems are cosmetic (the finish on the handle looks a bit dull) but if anyone knows differently I would like to hear about it. I can't see Henckels selling knives that have problems with the steel.

Good hunting!

Wow those are really cheap for what you get. I'll take a look around!

I do like my German Knives mmm

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I do like my German Knives mmm

Does this mean you like the taste of your knives?

$19 for a 4-star 8" is insane. While I prefer the now-discontinued 5-star, it would be good to pick up a backup - or for that price, a "traveling" knife. Do you recall how much the 10" Pro was? And thanks for the tip!