• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory mini-cupcakes

kiliki

At a cocktail bar recently I had mini Dungeness crab cupcakes with whipped creme fraiche topping. I'm now hooked on the idea of savory mini cupcakes for appetizers, potlucks and whatnot. I've searched online but only found a couple recipes. Does anyone have any recipes? I do know of course I could make mini-corn muffins with all the usual savory things you could put in cornbread (ie roasted green chilis and cheese).

How much cakey part was there to the crab cupcakes? Was it a cornbread base? A biscuit base? A savory quick bread base (similar to an onion cheese quick bread)?

It's fairly common to make little hors d'oeuvre bites by baking a savory quick bread in cupcake or gems pans. You can play around with any savory quick bread recipe to accomplish this.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

While not completely "gourmet", these have always been a hit when I've served them:

Mini-orange cranberry muffins (sliced in half and filled) with sliced, smoked turkey and either quince or fig preserves. Very nice for luncheons.

Also, what about mini savory cheesecakes?

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

If you are looking for a muffin-type of cupcake - I bookmarked these Savoury Mini-Muffins with Two Flavourings from Delia a while ago, but haven't actually got around to making them yet. I thought they would be a good accompaniment to soup.

They are pretty basic and it would be easy to play around with flavours and proportions to incorporate the crab.

Hazelnuts and bacon sounds interesting, fanny_the_fairy.

Cheers,

Anne