• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Meals

eJulia

I love to cook, eat out, dine well...... but SOMETIMES, I love to be able to "fire up" a frozen dinner...

Will you confess?

I love my own mac 'n cheese, adore it, really... but in a pinch, Stouffer's will do.

I recently had a crippling craving for cheese enchiliadas, and without close proximity to a mex food restaurant, and no energy for cooking.... I found Amy's Organic Cheese Enchiliadas... with an addition of extra cheese, sour cream, diced avos... it was an eating treat!

I also love Stouffer's Swedish Meatballs (GASP!) with extra sour cream.

Pretend I'm your food "priest" and CONFESS!

What frozen food do you have in stock, and eat when the spirit moves you?

(You will be forgiven!) :wink:

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

I love to cook, eat out, dine well...... but SOMETIMES, I love to be able to "fire up" a frozen dinner...

Will you confess?

I love my own mac 'n cheese, adore it, really... but in a pinch, Stouffer's will do.

I recently had a crippling craving for cheese enchiliadas, and without close proximity to a mex food restaurant, and no energy for cooking.... I found Amy's Organic Cheese Enchiliadas... with an addition of extra cheese, sour cream, diced avos...  it was an eating treat!

I also love Stouffer's Swedish Meatballs (GASP!) with extra sour cream.

Pretend I'm your food "priest" and CONFESS!

What frozen food do you have in stock, and eat when the spirit moves you?

(You will be forgiven!)  :wink:

I'm trusting you not to tell. I almost always have Marie Callendar pot pies in the freezer. :wink:

Most frozen food scares me. I wish I weren't that way, but I am.

I do make Golden's frozen Potato Pancakes, though.

And I do keep a good supply of Trader Joe's "Tarte d'Alsace" which is a thin crust topped with Creme Fraiche, Onions, and Bacon (like a 'Tarte Flambee') - which is superb.

And, a company in NJ called White Toque has some frozen pastries from France, such as Tarte Tatin, with crusts so delicious, you'd think you were in France.

But the number of unnatural ingredients in most frozen foods scares me away - wish it weren't so, though.

I used to keep a stash of White Castles in the freezer (they're exempt from any nutritional rules, of course), but I stopped because they always gave me the talking ones, the ones that would call out from the freezer in the middle of the night.

(edited to add the White Castle comment)

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I remember reading this article on frozen dinners in Slate sometime ago ...

I don't rely too much on frozen items but, as noted here, from time to time, they fill a need (for speed!) ... :hmmm:

Stouffer's frozen food items are relativley decent and, although I am not going to say that they are as good as a homemade original, they do fill a need ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I remember reading this article on frozen dinners in Slate sometime ago ...

I don't rely too much on frozen items but, as noted here, from time to time, they fill a need (for speed!) ...  :hmmm:

Stouffer's frozen food items are relativley decent and, although I am not going to say that they are as good as a homemade original, they do fill a need ...

I generally have some Stouffer's in the freezer, and Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie is edible. I occasionally succumb to something more exotic, but not that often - most of it is fairly spendy, and when we experiment, as often as not we say, well, interesting, but maybe we won't do that again.

I had to laugh at the conclusions drawn by the abovementioned article - I suspect if you are going to do freezer fodder, you are better to stick to the rather plebian for the most part.

I might indulge in more, or experiment more, if it weren't for the sugar and additive content, and the trans fats. Everything I put on the table myself isn't perfect, but it's at least all *food*.

Is there a 'diy frozen food' thread out there somewhere? Maybe it would be fruitful to discuss this aspect of freezer fodder. I have tested that theory some, too, but not with great results. When I freeze quantity, or raw, it works fine, but meals ... well, mostly they get tossed. Seems like we need a way to make them more airtight, maybe.

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

When I'm being kinda bad, a DiGiorno's pizza. When I'm really bad, Pepperidge Farms raspberry turnovers. The turnovers are a must in my frizz at all times. And when I'm downright sinful, just ice for vodka and juice. Dinner of champions. :cool:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Oh, golly.... I haven't had a frozen dinner in years. When I was single, I used to love Stouffer's macaroni & cheese.

I do (mostly for my 10 year old and her horde of friends, but also for an occasional quick lunch) keep a stock of frozen items like chicken taquitos, bean burritos, and Lean Pockets. Occasionally I'll succumb and buy Marie Callender's frozen pot pies.

Mostly our freezer is stocked with frozen plain vegetables, meat/poultry/fish that I freeze, various types of bread (including right now bagels, pita bread, German black bread, and some Indian paratha), espresso coffee, and ice cream!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

When I was a child my father loved the Swansons (or Banquet?) frozen meatloaf meal that included a red sauce, mashed potatoes and corn (or peas? green beans?). Being a young snob I preferred the turkey meals and wrinkled my adolescent nose at him from across the table. He seemed quite unfazed by his daughters disapproval. And now, I would love to send the rarely seen man a case of his favorite frozen meal but it seems to have disappeared. Yes, there is still a frozen meatloaf meal but it doesn't include the must-have red sauce. It is now a brown sauce. Doesn't fly a kite, doesn't jump the rope, ain't gonna buy it.

Unless I need a jump start on appreciating my childhood nostalgia I don't buy frozen meals. My gent likes some of the Marie Callender stuff but since we married, since I've retired (not permanently) and since I adore to plan and cook...he doesn't seem so excited or tolerant of frozen meals. A mixed blessing for this kitchen wench.

Personally, I really miss the tin trays. No quickie micro-make-it-worse-meal-deal. Preheat your oven. Bake the meal. Eat on a TV tray in the living room with your family. Watch game shows, sit-coms and nature shows. Life was good and I never knew it.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

These days, frozen entrees are things I've made and frozen myself. I almost always make at least twice as much as needed when I make chicken soup or curries so I have a "pull it out of the freezer" dinner around at all times.

The one sort of entree we always have around is frozen meatballs. Sure, I know how to make meatballs, but it's just so easy to grab a handful out of the ziplock back and throw them in the microwave for a quick meal.

I confess to liking Safeway's frozen appetizers, like their egg rolls or potstickers or "bags o' gold" (purse shaped things stuffed with what is essentially hot artichoke dip). They're rare treats, though, I don't really keep them around.

The freezer is full of things like frozen vegetables and frozen meats and frozen bread and frozen chicken carcasses - all the raw materials for quick dinners. (Ok, except the carcasses which become frozen stock when I accumulate enough of them.)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Tower Isle Jamaican meat pies....and Tots

booze and frozen $4.99# Porterhouse steaks round it out

oh and the leftover Shake and Bake

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

When I was a child my father loved the Swansons (or Banquet?) frozen meatloaf meal that included a red sauce, mashed potatoes and corn (or peas? green beans?). Being a young snob I preferred the turkey meals and wrinkled my adolescent nose at him from across the table. He seemed quite unfazed by his daughters disapproval. And now, I would love to send the rarely seen man a case of his favorite frozen meal but it seems to have disappeared. Yes, there is still a frozen meatloaf meal but it doesn't include the must-have red sauce. It is now a brown sauce. Doesn't fly a kite, doesn't jump the rope, ain't gonna buy it.

Unless I need a jump start on appreciating my childhood nostalgia I don't buy frozen meals. My gent likes some of the Marie Callender stuff but since we married, since I've retired (not permanently) and since I adore to plan and cook...he doesn't seem so excited or tolerant of frozen meals. A mixed blessing for this kitchen wench.

Personally, I really miss the tin trays. No quickie micro-make-it-worse-meal-deal. Preheat your oven. Bake the meal. Eat on a TV tray in the living room with your family. Watch game shows, sit-coms and nature shows. Life was good and I never knew it.

I miss the tin trays, Swansons@ 350, too. They cost about $1. and my dad made sure they were around when the parents were away at lunch time. Turkey was my favourite, but they didn't really give us very much. The big spread made up for it.

The freezer is full of things like frozen vegetables and frozen meats and frozen bread and frozen chicken carcasses - all the raw materials for quick dinners. (Ok, except the carcasses which become frozen stock when I accumulate enough of them.)

Marcia.

Same for me - I almost only use my freezer to keep frozen vegetables (it saves so much time) and frozen raspberries (I am completly addicted).

The only exception I make is for soups, that are my favorite quick and easy dinner (I also make my own and freeze it), and bread.

Back in France, it was different. Every corner of a street, there is a Picard store - a really famous frozen food store chain - where you can find a lot of healthy and honestly really good meals. Also, you cannot imagine how many times friends served Picard's chocolate fondant at a dinner.

I miss it...

Most frozen food scares me.  I wish I weren't that way, but I am.

I do make Golden's frozen Potato Pancakes, though.

And I do keep a good supply of Trader Joe's "Tarte d'Alsace" which is a thin crust topped with Creme Fraiche, Onions, and Bacon (like a 'Tarte Flambee') - which is superb.

And, a company in NJ called White Toque has some frozen pastries from France, such as Tarte Tatin, with crusts so delicious, you'd think you were in France.

But the number of unnatural ingredients in most frozen foods scares me away - wish it weren't so, though.

I used to keep a stash of White Castles in the freezer (they're exempt from any nutritional rules, of course), but I stopped because they always gave me the talking ones, the ones that would call out from the freezer in the middle of the night.

(edited to add the White Castle comment)

a

I know I love the Tarte D'Alsace from Trader Joe's. I keep it on hand. It makes a great dinner with a nice side salad

I always have several Boca and Morningstar Farms items, and Amy's Tamale Pie. I'm not vegetarian, but I like to eat like one sometimes.

Trader Joe's potstickers. All-butter puff pastry. Other than that, it's big hunks of meat for charcuterie projects, Trader Joe's fabulous frozen corn kernels, and stuff I put up myself. Oh, and banana leaves.

My husband usually has ice cream in the frreezer, and Pepperidge Farm apple turnovers.

My husband loves Lean Cuisine Santa Fe rice and beans (puts extra salsa on top) and eats for lunch...so always have 2-3 in the freezer.

I often have a package of frozen pierogi for the super-carb craving that only potato in pasta will cure! On the healthy side, frozen shelled edamame...throw into stir fry.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Alway keep a bag of frozen potstickers on hand. When in doubt eat potstickers.

I like the Claim jumper beef pies but they are just pure, tasty calories.

California Pizza Kitchen thin crust White Pizsza is a handy thing to have around for a quick lunch.

Always Ice Cream.

I actually really like frozen french fries. I can make my own from scratch and do, but I find frozen fries a good substitute - if you actually fry them! Good brands are super crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside w/ real potato-y taste - just what I am going for when I do my own.

Tots, of course.

And I have found a pretty good frozen pizza - Eddie's New York City pizza. It's just that - big, plain cheese slices. Better than Domino's, the Hut or Papa John's certainly.

Does phyllo count? What about home-made potstickers?

With a family of 5, frozen TV dinners would break the bank, but there are always a couple of frozen pizzas in there for those nights when we get back from the cabin right at dinner-time...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hm. Onion rings, mozzarella sticks, French fries, and chicken nuggets. I'm not big on deep frying, and frozen makes life way easier, and tastes ok. I've tried all these things from scratch, and frozen does it fine.

Oh, and meatballs. Sometimes, I like storebought frozen meatballs.