• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winning wedding cakes

This event was held in Tulsa, OK during the Tulsa State Fair. There was almost 700 cakes entered in all different catagories. It was filmed by the Food Network again this year for showing probably in May or June. Here are pictures of the big winners in the wedding cake catagory.

For cake artists, this is becoming the show to enter and for good reason.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hey, I've exchanged several emails with Rebecca Sutterby who won first place....good on her!

Of course, I sorta don't understand why "Stairway to Heaven" won the grand prize........ :huh:

I think "Fertile Crescent" is awesome.

Also, does anyone know......do the cakes have to be real cake underneath or can they decorate over

styrofoam dummies?

Edited by chefpeon (log)

Hey, I've exchanged several emails with Rebecca Sutterby who won first place....good on her!

Of course, I sorta don't understand why "Stairway to Heaven" won the grand prize........ :huh:

I think "Fertile Crescent" is awesome.

Also, does anyone know......do the cakes have to be real cake underneath or can they decorate over

styrofoam dummies?

A friend of mine was rooting for the Marie Antionette cake. I was glad the cake from Sri Lanka took a prize.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

On another board, Rebecca Sutterby said she spent 400 hours on her cake!!! blink.gif Stunning -- the cake and the number of hours....

Knowing that, then if you wanted to do a REAL cake with that kind of art (say someone was gonna pay you a million to do it), would it be possible? I know you could do a lot in advance, but realistically could you make a real cake that elaborate?

On another board, Rebecca Sutterby said she spent 400 hours on her cake!!! blink.gif Stunning -- the cake and the number of hours....

Knowing that, then if you wanted to do a REAL cake with that kind of art (say someone was gonna pay you a million to do it), would it be possible? I know you could do a lot in advance, but realistically could you make a real cake that elaborate?

fruitcake? :blink:

to be quite honest, it doesn't really look like 400 hours worth of work. not to put anyone down who has the ability and the patience to make gumpaste/sugarpaste flowers and pipe royal icing, but 400 hours? of course, that's only 16.6 straight days of work :wink:

Edited by alanamoana (log)

Wow! I particularly like "Belleza Espanola", I thinks it's the subtle addition of blue that appeals. I come from a place where fruit cake and white fondant is the traditional wedding cake (and groom's cake doesn't exist). Although things are changing in our cities, we're a little more traditional here. I've done a few wedding cakes myself and can appreciate the work that goes into them.

I participated for the second year this year, and there really is no way to choose the number 1 cake, with so much amazing talent in the room. There are a lot of participants, however, who had me questioning whether these were all professionals. I heard several people say that they were working on their cakes all day and all night for months, and all I could think was, "what about all your paid work? Who was doing that?"

Of course there are also lots of real pros competing too, and I have nothing but admiration for them. It's a tough competition, and worth doing!!

I earned a silver this year, so I have to keep trying!

do you have to be a professional to participate?

I participated for the second year this year, and there really is no way to choose the number 1 cake, with so much amazing talent in the room.  There are a lot of participants, however, who had me questioning whether these were all professionals.  I heard several people say that they were working on their cakes all day and all night for months, and all I could think was, "what about all your paid work?  Who was doing that?"

Of course there are also lots of real pros competing too, and I have nothing but admiration for them.  It's a tough competition, and worth doing!!

Natalie Mickles story from the Tulsa World.

As to if you have to be a professional to enter, I don't know. There are other catagories besides wedding cakes for all levels of experience that also get judged.

For next year the theme of the wedding cakes is

next year's theme, Hollywood Glamour Cakes.

Not all cakes, no matter how popular are winners,

One cake in particular, inspired by Marie Antoinette, was a favorite with the public, but didn't cut it with the judges because it was adorned with crystals. Judges take points off for any inedible adornments on a cake.

Here is a story with the results from the Wedding Cake Challenge that was sponsored by the Food Network during the Oklahoma Sugar ARts Show. Clickity here.

The five-layer work of art was created by one of the country's top pastry chefs, Michelle Bommarito, for the Food Network Wedding Cake Challenge, which was taped in front of a live audience at Expo Square on Friday. The cake won Bommarito $10,000 and won Wilson and Dorsey an experience they will never forget.

Judges said they decided on Bommarito for her skill and creativity, but also for how the cake represented the couple. The cake's bottom layer was a super-realistic suitcase made from chocolate and sugar with stickers representing the places the couple has been, such as Oklahoma and Texas, and the places they are going, including Hawaii for their honeymoon. Another layer looked like a leather-bound medical book, representing Dorsey, a University of Oklahoma medical student.

do you have to be a professional to participate?

Unless I'm reading the entry form wrong, anyone over 18 can enter the wedding cake competition.

There are different divisions, even youth divisions. They are explained on the website. The link above will probably get you there.

I participated for the second year this year, and there really is no way to choose the number 1 cake, with so much amazing talent in the room.  There are a lot of participants, however, who had me questioning whether these were all professionals.  I heard several people say that they were working on their cakes all day and all night for months, and all I could think was, "what about all your paid work?  Who was doing that?"

Of course there are also lots of real pros competing too, and I have nothing but admiration for them.  It's a tough competition, and worth doing!!

Congratulations on your win, All the cakes were amazing to me. I salute your alls artistry.

• 11 months later...

THe OK State Sugar Arts show is this weekend. I will try to take some pictures. The Theme is Hollywood so I am expecting interesting designs. If anyone is in town for the show pm me to meet up. I will have Jaymes with me tomorrow at the show so maybe we will run into each other. I am looking forward to meeting Chef Roland Misner.

Edited by joiei (log)