• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ever had babalini?

Jennifer Schell

Just returned from Italy where in the glorious hillside village of Ravello I tasted a local speciality dessert called babalini. This is a version of their famous spongecake called "baba" that is soaked traditionally in rum or limoncello. Babalini are little golfball sized baba spongecakes that were soaked in limoncello and served with a side of gelato. HEAVEN! Does anyone know how to make golf ball sized baba?

HauteDog

Just returned from Italy where in the glorious hillside village of Ravello I tasted a local speciality dessert called babalini.  This is a version of their famous spongecake called "baba" that is soaked traditionally in rum or limoncello.  Babalini are little golfball sized baba spongecakes that were soaked in limoncello and served with a side of gelato.  HEAVEN!  Does anyone know how to make golf ball sized baba?

Check out this recipe from Nick Malgieri -- it seems to fit the bill.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 2 weeks later...
Just returned from Italy where in the glorious hillside village of Ravello I tasted a local speciality dessert called babalini.  This is a version of their famous spongecake called "baba" that is soaked traditionally in rum or limoncello.  Babalini are little golfball sized baba spongecakes that were soaked in limoncello and served with a side of gelato.  HEAVEN!  Does anyone know how to make golf ball sized baba?

Check out this recipe from Nick Malgieri -- it seems to fit the bill.

Make a limoncello syrup or you will be very drunk. Limoncello is potent.