• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines for a snacky gala

Malawry

I'm catering my husband's annual choir gala next weekend. Here's my proposed menu:

Savory side:

Cold, on trays:

Asparagus with proscuitto and balsamic drizzle

Vegetable crudite platter with five-onion dip

Belgian endive leaves with herbed goat cheese mousse and pepper confetti garnish

Assorted cheeses with crackers, baguette and sour cherry jam

Marinated lemon-garlic olives

Hot, probably passed:

Chicken potstickers with sweet chili sauce

Crab-boursin mushrooms

Chicken satay with spicy peanut sauce

Zucchini-spinach tyropitas

Sweet side:

Brownies with ganache frosting

Sour cherry-almond tartlets

Lemon tartlets

Candied almonds

Fruit platter with caramel and chocolate sauces

This event used to be all desserts and champagne, but it has evolved and this year they're trying to up the ante a little--requesting evening dress on the invitations and charging admission. They usually ask me to suggest a few wines, and then the choir members each donate a bottle as their contribution to the event. This is the first time there's been this much savory food and only the second time they're offering other wines in addition to sparklers. Most of the members of the choir will either buy their wine at a nearby Costco or else at a nearby Total Wine, so ideally selections will be available at both places. Selections should definitely be under $15, and preferably closer to the $10 mark.

What would you suggest?

i agree with the bubbly idea, since it's all snacky and some of the items are fried. cava is a great alternative to champagne and usually falls right into your price point. i prefer raventos if it's available. but i was thinking you might also consider a demi sec sparkler, such as gruet, since a number of your snacks seem asian and/or spicy. gruet's demi sec is a bit different in that it is not quite as sweet as most demi secs, and so you could serve it for the entire evening without people feeling that what they are drinking is too sweet.

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

In addition to cavas, Spain is a great producer of a number of inexpensive fine wines. I would look for reds from Toro or Jumilla and whites from Rueda or Galicia (albarinos are great, but starting to get pricier). If find these wines within your price range, chances are they will be good values.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz