• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spokane Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

I resisted the temptation to refer to it as Spo-Vegas, so I'm hoping that'll earn me some points with the locals :)

I'll be in town over labor day for a wedding (spokane, that is) and am hoping to go out with a bunch of friends, so we'll need a group-friendly place....

I think we'd be happy with Mexican or a cheaper casual place, and please, no chains.

But then we'll be in Coeur D'alene for a couple of nights so here's what I know: Anthony's sounds great---is it?

Is the Whitehouse worth going to Post Falls?

Thoughts on Brix? Porch Public House?

Any others? nothing fancy, but food matters!

thanks

I have obtained the following on the good authority of my mother-in-law: "I can recommend 'Hudson's Hamburgers', 207 E Sherman Avenue, which has been in the same location for about 80 years. I think they close at like 1:00 pm. There is a little pub that I like for gumbo and a wide variety of beers called 'Moontime' 1602 Sherman Avenue, definitely not gourmet dining but hot and garlicky."

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

First off, YES! The White House is definitely worth the trip out to Post Falls! Their motto is "You love garlic and we love you"--that says it all.

A few other spots to ponder:

Good ethnic food, even Mexican, is hard to find in eastern Washington, so I would advise against it in general. The exceptions are the above-mentioned White House, and this:

Mi casa taqueria, 901 W. 14th Ave., 509.455.5155. Good simple Mexican food in a very casual setting. It's a small space, so it might not work if you're going with a huge group.

Otherwise, I would recommend:

The Elk Public House; chrisamirault mentioned Moon Time upthread--The Elk is the Spokane version of the same pub, and Porch Public House, the Hayden Lake version. Lovely setting in quaint Brown's Addition with outdoor seating and a good, typical pub menu.

I used to live in Spokane, so if you have more questions, feel free to ask them here or pm. I can also tell you where NOT to go, and there are a lot of those around Spokane!

Oh excellent. We'll be staying at the Hotel Lusso in Spokane, so any good coffee nearby would be great. And maybe a place to meet up with our friends friday night within walking distance? we'll have cars, but....

Perfect choice on the hotel! Fugazzi is the restaurant in the same building if you're looking for a nice meal.

For coffee, my first suggestion would be Rockwood Bakery but it's off the beaten path on South Hill, so The Rocket Bakery should suit you just fine. They make all their own pastries so it's all guaranteed fresh. From your hotel, just walk one block south to First Ave., then east about 5-6 blocks.

As far as meeting up with friends, do you mean for drinks or dinner?

The Catacombs would be a good choice for both; if you get bored there you can walk about twenty feet to my favorite bar in Spokane, Far West Billiards. Fun fun fun. Just don't expect speedy service. Depending on who's playing, The B-Side is pretty cool, lots of Spokane hipsters checking each other out. Oh, and if you see The Big Easy, run. As fast as you can. In the opposite direction. Ditto for anything in RiverPark Square.

That's it. I do hope you have a nice time in Farmland; keep an open mind and you should enjoy yourself just fine.

Eilen

• 2 months later...

Northwest Palate magazine has an article on Spokane in the current (September/October) issue that describes some places you might want to check out in the Davenport District of Spokane.

Full disclosure #1: I am the co-publisher of Northwest Palate, so I suppose there is a certain amount of promotion involved in my mentioning it. Still, it is a possible source for you. Full disclosure #2: I have not personally been to any of the restaurants mentioned in the article.

The restaurants that are described in the story are the following:

Bistango Martini Lounge

108 North Post Street

Bluefish

830 West Sprague Avenue

(the article has a short profile of the chef, who is also the chef at Moxie, below.)

Catacombs Pub

110 South Monroe Street

Empyrean

154 South Madison Street

Moxie

816 West Sprague Street

Rock Coffee

920 West First Avenue

Wild Sage American Bistro

916 West Second Avenue

Hope this helps!

-Cole Danehower

I posted this on another website; I used to live in Spokane and have family who still do. If you have questions about anything or are looking for a particular type of cuisine, please let me know.

Breakfast:

The Davenport Hotel, 10 S. Post, 509.789.6848~~Excellent Sunday brunch menu for a fair price ($29.50) in a beautiful setting. The Davenport was recently remodelled and it’s worth it just to stroll in for a look around. Reservations recommended.

Frank’s Diner: greasy spoon-type fare in a cute cable car. Spokane’s favorite for breakfast, so be prepared to wait.

Rockwood Bakery and Espresso, 315 E. 18th Ave., 509.747.8691~~Your best bet for coffee and a pastry in Spokane—skip Rocket Bakery’s 59 locations and find your way here. My favorite is the cream cheese danish.

Lunch Casual:

Huckleberry’s, 926 S. Monroe, 509.624.1349~~Spokane’s very own New Seasons, a good source of items for an impromptu picnic, or stick around and eat in the Bistro. Six kinds of daily soup, tons of interesting salads (try the curried red lentil salad), and sandwiches and more made to order.

The Picnic Company, 9326 N. Division, 509.467.0123 ~~Some of the best sandwiches in Spokane are here, my favorite is the Michigan Picnic—hot turkey, melted dofino cheese, mushrooms, melted cheddar cheese, red onion, mayonnaise and hot honey mustard on a toasted roll. You can also rent baskets and order ahead for a nice picnic. Excellent, friendly service in a somewhat cheesy environment.

Dinner

Europa Pizzaria and Bakery, 125 S. Wall St., 509.455.4051~~An interesting cross between American and Italian food, try any of the rotolos, calzone-like but lighter. If you’re a pizza snob, well, don’t eat any while in Spokane. Save room for dessert, they make their own.

Fugazzi, 1 N. Post St., 509.624.1133~~The best place to eat fish in Spokane, my favorites are the rock crab springrolls and tortilla-crusted halibut. They used to operate a bakery and I believe they still make bread for the restaurant. Skip dessert.

Mizuna, 214 N. Howard, 509.747.2004~~Used to be all vegetarian, they introduced meat and fish because of consumer demand. Still, they have the most delicate and thoughtfully prepared menu in Spokane, in my opinion. Skip the animal protein and enjoy what they do best.

Best,

Eilen

• 3 weeks later...
I posted this on another website; I used to live in Spokane and have family who still do.  If you have questions about anything or are looking for a particular type of cuisine, please let me know.

Breakfast:

The Davenport Hotel, 10 S. Post, 509.789.6848~~Excellent Sunday brunch menu for a fair price ($29.50) in a beautiful setting. The Davenport was recently remodelled and it’s worth it just to stroll in for a look around. Reservations recommended.

Frank’s Diner: greasy spoon-type fare in a cute cable car. Spokane’s favorite for breakfast, so be prepared to wait.

Rockwood Bakery and Espresso, 315 E. 18th Ave., 509.747.8691~~Your best bet for coffee and a pastry in Spokane—skip Rocket Bakery’s 59 locations and find your way here. My favorite is the cream cheese danish.

Lunch Casual:

Huckleberry’s, 926 S. Monroe, 509.624.1349~~Spokane’s very own New Seasons, a good source of items for an impromptu picnic, or stick around and eat in the Bistro. Six kinds of daily soup, tons of interesting salads (try the curried red lentil salad), and sandwiches and more made to order.

The Picnic Company, 9326 N. Division, 509.467.0123 ~~Some of the best sandwiches in Spokane are here, my favorite is the Michigan Picnic—hot turkey, melted dofino cheese, mushrooms, melted cheddar cheese, red onion, mayonnaise and hot honey mustard on a toasted roll. You can also rent baskets and order ahead for a nice picnic. Excellent, friendly service in a somewhat cheesy environment.

Dinner

Europa Pizzaria and Bakery, 125 S. Wall St., 509.455.4051~~An interesting cross between American and Italian food, try any of the rotolos, calzone-like but lighter. If you’re a pizza snob, well, don’t eat any while in Spokane. Save room for dessert, they make their own.

Fugazzi, 1 N. Post St., 509.624.1133~~The best place to eat fish in Spokane, my favorites are the rock crab springrolls and tortilla-crusted halibut. They used to operate a bakery and I believe they still make bread for the restaurant. Skip dessert.

Mizuna, 214 N. Howard, 509.747.2004~~Used to be all vegetarian, they introduced meat and fish because of consumer demand. Still, they have the most delicate and thoughtfully prepared menu in Spokane, in my opinion. Skip the animal protein and enjoy what they do best.

Best,

Eilen

Good call on Mizuna. I dragged five of my fellow conference goers there last night and everyone had a great experience. Suprisingly affordable, too.

• 9 months later...

Check out this thread from about a year ago; I haven't lived in Spokane for a few years, so I don't know how accurate my recs would be. You could also look at reviews in the Inlander, Spokane's weekly. I'm not endorsing them, just suggesting.

As for Cheney, I would say you're better off going back into Spokane to eat!

• 3 years later...

We are off to Spokane for our first visit....three nights. Staying at Hotel Lusso. I have done some internet research and wonder if anyone can update the state of restaurants and pubs? So far I have Bangkok Thai, Mizuna and Europia listed as good places to go.

Also looking for a good kitchen equipment shop, besides Williams Sonoma. Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

My husband has a conference in Spokane in May and we are trying to decide on where to have dinner one evening. Have read the thread and have also looked at other publications.

Does anyone have feedback on Downriver Grill?

What is current impression of Mizuna? Given only one night to eat out (other nights are required events) which would you choose or is something else outstanding?

Thanks in advance, Kay

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to also check out the online menus for Moxie and Luna. The Chef at Moxie used to be the Executive Chef at the Davenport Hotel. The menu is a blend of Asian and Pacific Northwest. The restaurant is located in the center of downtown.

Luna is up on what we call the South Hill neighborhood, about a 10 minute drive from downtown. The menu is a blend of classic American with Northwest touches. It's a nice, quiet setting.

• 1 month later...

You might want to also check out the online menus for Moxie and Luna. The Chef at Moxie used to be the Executive Chef at the Davenport Hotel. The menu is a blend of Asian and Pacific Northwest. The restaurant is located in the center of downtown.

Luna is up on what we call the South Hill neighborhood, about a 10 minute drive from downtown. The menu is a blend of classic American with Northwest touches. It's a nice, quiet setting.

David,

Thank you for the suggestions. We ate at Luna last night and had a fantastic meal.

I started with an interesting salad of watercress, shaved baby persian cukes, almond slices, shaved pecorino topped with crispy potato shreds. Really quite good and definitely tangy. Followed this with the Prime Sirloin which was perfectly cooked. Came with

parmesan rosemary potato gratin, broccolini, and roasted shallot demi glace.

My husband had the Pork Chop Argentine - which was a grilled double cut chop, white bean succotash, and chimichurri along with a side of broccolini.

Nice wine and beer list as well. No room for dessert. We really enjoyed the restaurant and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a place to go in Spokane. Recommend reservations as it was extremely busy last evening. We sat inside but they do have patio dining as well. We appreciated your suggestion.

Kay

• 4 weeks later...

David,

Thank you for the suggestions. We ate at Luna last night and had a fantastic meal.

I started with an interesting salad of watercress, shaved baby persian cukes, almond slices, shaved pecorino topped with crispy potato shreds. Really quite good and definitely tangy. Followed this with the Prime Sirloin which was perfectly cooked. Came with

parmesan rosemary potato gratin, broccolini, and roasted shallot demi glace.

My husband had the Pork Chop Argentine - which was a grilled double cut chop, white bean succotash, and chimichurri along with a side of broccolini.

Nice wine and beer list as well. No room for dessert. We really enjoyed the restaurant and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a place to go in Spokane. Recommend reservations as it was extremely busy last evening. We sat inside but they do have patio dining as well. We appreciated your suggestion.

Kay

So glad you liked it and I'm glad my recommendation worked out well. It's a bit tough for restaurants in Spokane who cook "local and seasonal" as our growing seasons are quite short compared to the West side of the state. However, with some creativity and the marriage of local with good quality, restaurants like Luna do a nice job. Visit us in the late Summer and we'll treat you to fresh huckleberries and late-Summer peaches.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The pastry Gods have graced Spokane with the recent opening of "Common Crumb" artisanal bakery. Common Crumb is owned by Jeremy and Kate Hansen of Sante' restaurant.  FInally we have a bakery, patisserie and confectionary whose goods rival any bakery in Seattle, Portland, or San Francisco or Las Vegas for that matter. 

You will be challenged to find a "Canneles de Bordeaux" in any pastry case but in Spokane? (the last time I tasted this luscious, historic French pastry was at Sage restaurant at Aria in Las Vegas).  They also serve delicious sandwiches, layered with charcuterie made in-house at their big Sister restaurant down the street. You must make a special trip to Common Crumb when you are in Spokane.  And by the way, Sante' Chef Jeremy Hansen is a Semi-Finalist for Best Chef Northwest from the James Beard Foundation. 

Hand-wrapped and tied bread-

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

The "crumb" is anything but common-

IMG_0551.JPG

Pastries-

IMG_0553.JPG

Canneles de Bordeaux-

IMG_0555.JPG

Almond Pain du Chocolat-

IMG_0557.JPG

Does your bakery make Hibiscus-Lemon Eclairs?-