• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Woodchips for Smoking Foods

hitmanoo

I'm looking for a local store (essex county) where I can buy a bag or two of woodchips so I can smoke food on my grill. I know that they are not sold at Shop Rite.

I know that I can get a bag at Chef Central in Paramus, but I shouldn't have to drive that far. I'm not sure if they are sold at Home Depot. There has to be someplace closer to me that has them.

I'm drawing a blank as far as ideas for local stores to peruse. If anyone has a suggestion, or knows where I can go, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

the internet has a zillion sources.

also

I have bought wood chips at Sears, Home Depot and Loews.

also hardware stores can have em as well.

I am sure there is someplace near you (if not you can get em by mail via the net).

the internet has a zillion sources.

also

I have bought wood chips at Sears, Home Depot and Loews.

also hardware stores can have em as well.

I am sure there is someplace near you (if not you can get em by mail via the net).

I may try Home Depot. I didn't really want to wait to get them via the internet. I was hoping more for the immediate gratification route. :smile:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Home Depot does generally carry them -- look by the grills. These days, almost anyplace that sells grills has wood chips. Easy to find basic ones (Hickory, Mesquite). If you are looking for something a little more obscure (Applewood, Pecanwood, etc), gourmet stores or the Internet are a better bet.

I've also seen, Jack Daniels chips, made out of their barrels that they age bourbon in.

What time should I be over for dinner? :raz:

almost any place that sells grills will sell them.

go to weber.com and find retailers in your area.  that would be a good start.

Always thinking, Tommy!

Gilenson`s...The Grill Experts

591 So. Livingston Ave.

Livingston , NJ 07039

(973) 994-4004

Always thinking, Tommy!

591 So. Livingston Ave.

Livingston , NJ 07039

(973) 994-4004

That's where I get mine! Quite a selection too, oak, cherry, mesquite.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

Always thinking, Tommy!

591 So. Livingston Ave.

Livingston , NJ 07039

(973) 994-4004

That's where I get mine! Quite a selection too, oak, cherry, mesquite.

Small problem. I went there today but they were not open. I tried calling the number but it is not in service. They did not appear to be out of business. To complicate matters no hours of business were posted anywhere on the store. I tried calling an 800 number but no additional information was provided.

Does anybody know their hours of operation?

As I gazed through the window, I saw some pretty interesting items! :laugh:

I repeat, Hometown hearth and BBQ on Rt 10 west in Whippany. Instant gratification, man.

Eric

I completely believe you! I was just looking for more like 5-10 minutes and not 20-25 minutes. Round trip, that adds up!

... Another online alternative:

Bass Pro Shops online do a good deal on wood chips (mequite, hickory, apple, maple and cherry), as well as wood chunks.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Tex...arTarget=search

Also, if you have a Weber Smokey Mountain, they are a cheap place to get the Brinkmann Charcoal Pan to replace the water pan in your WSM - it's a direct replacement for the pan, and holds about twice as much water.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Tex...arTarget=search

That said, I am still looking for a local source of Oak and Apple chunks, so will check out some of these local places.

Jason

p.s. Any of you guys watch BBQU on PBS?

you're a pain in the ass.  :biggrin:

don't wanna drive?  amazon.com

do you have a Whole Foods near you?

I kind of guess that Whole Foods illustrates my point. Sure the Whole Foods in Montclair is convenient, but I'm so psyched for the new store to open just 5 minutes away right in West Orange! :raz:

laziness is a terrible affliction...

If you're new to smoking and happen to choose hickory as one of your wood chip types - use it with discretion. I've used mesquite and alder with very pleasing results but found hickory to yield and overpowering smokiness unless I backed it off to about half the amount of chips I used with other types of wood.

• 9 years later...

Hello all new guy here

Finding quality cooking wood can be exhausting. I finally found smokinlicious.com . I called and was immediately impressed by the expert knowledge. These people know cooking and will ship anywhere. Waiting on my first order of Sugar Maple! I will be happy to provide my test results. A plus for the Smokin team thus far but the proof is in the smoke.

Thx

ChrisM