• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

blind baking pie shells

maxmillan

My crust recipe consists of 75% butter, 25% shortening, flour, salt, sugar, lemon juice, water and baking powder.

I bake it in a pyrex, forked all over, and covered with bean filled foil. I bake like this for approx 10 minutes and and then take out the foil and beans and bake for another 10 minutes.

How can I prevent shrinkage so that it can maintain that nice crimped pre-baked look? I've had the edges rise and droop over and also shrink in.

Is it my recipe, my method, or both?

Thanks for your advice or any links to this similar problem.

My crust recipe consists of 75% butter, 25% shortening, flour, salt, sugar, lemon juice, water and baking powder.

I bake it in a pyrex, forked all over, and covered with bean filled foil.  I bake like this for approx 10 minutes and and then take out the foil and beans and bake for another 10 minutes.

How can I prevent shrinkage so that it can maintain that nice crimped pre-baked look?  I've had the edges rise and droop over and also shrink in.

Is it my recipe, my method, or both?

Thanks for your advice or any links to this similar problem.

Are you resting and chilling your dough? There may be some other tips here: Perfect sweet pastry tartlets, tips, tricks, advice needed.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I have a quiche with a perfect crust in the oven as I type. :biggrin:

I follow the cook's Illustrated method of after rolling out the dough and placing it in the pan, you refrigerate it for 40 minutes and then freeze it for 20 minutes. Bake (with weights, no pricking necessary) at 190C (375F) for 17 minutes, remove the weights and bake an additional 9 minutes for partially baked and 15 minutes for a fully baked.

I use this method with 100% butter shells and with butter/shortening mix shells and it comes out perfect every time.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

If you're in a hurry, put another properly sized, lightly greased pie pan inside the crust and bake them upside down. You can take the second pan out and turn the crust over for the last 10 minutes or so if you want it to brown more.

SB (Gravity is your friend)

Also:

Bake with beans to the top.

Use lower protein flour or replace some flour with pastry flour.

Add 1 tsp. vinegar / cup of flour.

Dock the crust before baking.

After carefully fitting (not stretching) the dough, roll the top edge under itself. Flute, almost hooking the dough over the outside edge of the pan.

Ceramic weights have more mass than beans and may also help.

Good luck,

Tim