• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need your help.

eSkillet.com

I can help with south american street food, but some ingredients might be hard to find. Let's see:

1. Anticuchos, which are basically kebabs, made with heart (and I don't mean courrage) and served with a special sauce made with panca (peruvian chili)

2. Empanadas, all kinds of empanadas: cheese, seafood, meat, mushroom... my favorite: salteñas. These are bolivian empanadas made with collagen, so that the end result is soup trapped in a savory pastry. Good stuff.

3. Fried dumplins made with corn or yuca flour or, even better, plantain (which is cooked and then mashed into a paste) stuffed with "chicharron" or cheese or both

4. Salchipapas, basically fried potatoes paired with sausage and served in a paper bag with toothpicks (good, but I don't know if apt for a restaurant)

5. Anything mexican, from tamales to tacos. Anything "al pastor"

6. There's a lot of sandwiches in south america. If you think you can add them, somehow, to your menus, I'll be happy to let you know. But many times when I think of street food in Bolivia, Ecuador, Chile and Peru, I think of the typical sandwich you grab before lunch of after hours, stumbling back from the bars.

I hope this list was helpful. I'll try to remember some more unusual foods and post again.

Good list.

I won't have a problem with ingredients. I'll ship everything I need in.

The only limitations are on some indiginous produce but I can work on substitutes.

I just thought of another one: in bolivia we have a traditional breakfast in the market... api con llauchas.

api is a hot cinamony purple beverage made with purple corn (I don't know the propper name in english) and llaucha is a spicy cheese wood-oven-baked empanada. I'm actually working on this idea as an amouse bouche. Basically serve the api as soup.

Another one you can play with is pan de yuca (also called cuñape or pao de queijo) served with yogurt. Typical in Ecuadorian afternoons, as a snack. I can help you find a recipe for pan de yuca (made with yuca flour) but you will find several online.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I just thought of another one: in bolivia we have a traditional breakfast in the market... api con llauchas.

api is a hot cinamony purple beverage made with purple corn (I don't know the propper name in english) and llaucha is a spicy cheese wood-oven-baked empanada. I'm actually working on this idea as an amouse bouche. Basically serve the api as soup.

Another one you can play with is pan de yuca (also called cuñape or pao de queijo) served with yogurt. Typical in Ecuadorian afternoons, as a snack. I can help you find a recipe for pan de yuca (made with yuca flour) but you will find several online.

I look for some pan de yuca recipes godito.

I think I've come across a similar item in Cuba.

I'm thinking of doing a "Pattie sampler" with various mini versions of patties, empanadas, samosas etc. with appropriate sauces.

How about some Thai street food specialties? If you get an authentic som tam (green papaya salad) going on, I'll bet cash money you'll have people lining up around the block. (And if your establishment has an open kitchen arrangement, the diners will get to hear a great percussion performance with every som tam order. :biggrin: )