• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CanadianBakin Fundraiser at Rare

Kerry Beal

Though I realize that I'm cross-posting with Chef Fowke on the Vancouver forum, online bids should be e-mailed to info@rarevancouver.com.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

As someone who attended this special evening, I can tell you that the spirit of generosity is alive and well in Vancouver.

What a fantastic evening. Huge props to all those who worked tirelessly to make this evening possible.

The food was fantastic and for all those who are curious, here is the menu:

Champagne and canapés

Cauliflower & truffle shooter

Pumpkin ravioli * beurre noisette emulsion * amarettini-sage crumble

Fennel risotto * neon squid * malt-cured oak-smoked bacon

Duck soup * black beluga lentils * evergreen organic autumn vegetables

Butter-sautéed sablefish * tarragon * chanterelle & porcini mushrooms * apple puree

Blue Goose organic beef tenderloin * Dungeness mashed potatoes * red wine reduction

Okanagan apples five ways (gala, ambrosia, granny smith)

Local cheeses & charcuterie

What a night! Goes to show what a small group of people with big hearts can do to help another.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

As someone who attended this special evening, I can tell you that the spirit of generosity is alive and well in Vancouver.

What a fantastic evening. Huge props to all those who worked tirelessly to make this evening possible.

The food was fantastic and for all those who are curious, here is the menu:

Champagne and canapés

Cauliflower & truffle shooter

Pumpkin ravioli * beurre noisette emulsion * amarettini-sage crumble

Fennel risotto * neon squid * malt-cured oak-smoked bacon

Duck soup * black beluga lentils * evergreen organic autumn vegetables

Butter-sautéed sablefish * tarragon * chanterelle & porcini mushrooms * apple puree

Blue Goose organic beef tenderloin * Dungeness mashed potatoes * red wine reduction

Okanagan apples five ways (gala, ambrosia, granny smith)

Local cheeses & charcuterie

What a night!  Goes to show what a small group of people with big hearts can do to help another.

Sounds fabulous, what did you enjoy most?

Thank you to everyone who helped out with the dinner and to those who attended. It was a great night of community. For those who had the wine pairing with dinner here are the wines.

Castello della Sala Chardonnay Umbria, Italy 2004

Produced at a 14th century Castle, located 11 miles from the town of Orvieto where the micro-climate makes it ideal for the production of cooler-weather wines such as Chardonnay.

L’ecole No. 41 Semillon Columbia Valley, Washington 2004

L'Ecole Nº 41 has been making Semillon since 1983 and is recognized in the industry as one of the top producers of this varietal. Few Semillons show their richness and complexitiy as those produced in Washington State. A 91 point Wine Enthusiast rating.

Louis Jadot Cote de Nuits-Villages “Le Vaucrain”

Burgundy, 2000

Argyle Pinot Noir Willamette, Oregon 2004

Wine Spectator has called Argyle the “premier winery in Oregon”. This is what a cool, marine climate Pinot Noir is all about. Wine Spectator rating of 89 points.

St. Francis “Nunn’s Canyon” Reserve Merlot Sonoma, California 1998

This wine is a monster. Absolutely massive tannins that need to be tamed with food. Try with the bone in Tenderloin or the New York Striploin. Huge intensity of flavour here with cherry plummy spicy fruit and a smoky vanilla finish. A 92 point Anthony Gismondi rating

Buller Fine Old Muscat Victoria Australia N/V

Reddish amber in colour, with a concentrated raisiny sweetness on the palate and a long, lingering finish. Robert Parker rating of 96 points.

Masi Costasera Amarone Veneto, Italy 2001

The Costasera Amarone expresses a particular majesty and complexity. Ideal with red meats, game and mature cheeses also an excellent wine for the end of the meal.

Edited by TimK (log)

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

The wine pairings were fantastic.

I did not catch the name of the server who did the pairings, but he deserves a big pat on the back.

The pumpkin ravioli was a big standout for me, and the oyster canapes, and the beef- well really it was all fantastic.

I would like to add too that not only did the chefs and laypersons put a huge amount of effort into this, but all of the servers volunteered their time as well. Spotted guest starring were Steve from HSG, Barista champion Barrett, and Kolachy Keith, among many others.

ETA

Tina, should I ever face this battle I only hope to be able to do it with the strength, grace, faith and spirit that you have shown. God bless you.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I guess I'm one of the few to have previously met Tina. Served her at the Hammy. Table 5.

The event was amazing. If there was only one event I went to this year, it would have been this one. Amazing group of guests, amazing group of chefs. Lots of work went into the event. I left at one, and the Rare crew were still cleaning up. Great Job Neil, and Brian for pulling it all together.

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend this event and it was surely an evening to remember. The food was wonderful, for me the pumpkin ravoili, the duck soup and tenderloin were favorites and the wine pairings were spot on.

My little group of friends did well in the auctions, the BBQ for 20, the wine tasting for 20 and the whistler ski trip all went to my friends. I won the bottle I had my eye on all evening, a 1991 Sumac Ridge Steller's Jay Cuvee. This is a very happy addition to my modest collection.

Most of all though, the people who organised this event and the countless volunteers deserve the kudos, they did all the hard work and showed how the Vancouver culinary community has a very warm and caring heart.

Thanks!

Stefan

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

• 2 weeks later...