• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding cake or wedding dress?

chefpeon

Ummm kinda naughty too , everyone follows the bride till she end up only in her victoria secrets and high hills,well maybe the groom can do that part hahahahaha wonderfull, why I havent tought of that for my dress?????? :laugh::laugh:

Vanessa

For those brides on a budget, you can have your dress and eat it too!

Cream puff wedding dress

For posterity...

UZHHOROD, Ukraine - Valentyn Shtefano's pastries were known for attracting stares and giggles as well as lip-smacking murmurs. But even his fiancee was surprised when Shtefano told her he was making her wedding dress — out of flour, eggs, sugar and caramel.

The dress — made of 1,500 cream puffs and weighing 20 pounds — took the 28-year-old baker two months to make, and by the end of the wedding reception, bride Viktoriya said she didn't want to take it off.

Shtefano is a rising star in the field of baking as visual art, earning him a following in this city near the border with Slovakia. His creations have generated a buzz in a place where cake is often layers of heavy cream, wafers and nuts or poppy seeds — more something to eat than to look at.

His biggest challenge was the wedding dress cake. At first, he sewed empty cream puffs together, but the dress collapsed. Then, he carefully attached the puffs to a wedding dress frame, and Viktoriya spent a couple hours each night before the wedding modeling the dress as Shtefano added more puffs. Her crown, bouquet and necklace were made from caramelized sugar.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Some of Shtefano's cakes are strictly for mature audiences, like a pair of breasts on display at a pizzeria where his goods are sold. But he also created an elaborate Easter cake that drew hundreds to a cathedral. It was a black and gold globe hatching from an Easter egg, with pieces of eggshell on top of the globe and falling off to the side. It was too pretty to eat.

I love this guy! But when I think pastry wedding dresses, I think meringue would be lovely -- no sitting down, of course.

Edited to add: chefpeon, I love your sig line!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Interesting! But I wonder how edible a creampuff dress that took two months to construct could be!

In case no one recognizes its historic antecedents, here's a link to a print by 17th C. French artist Nicholas de Larmessin II from his series of depictions of fanciful costumes of tradespeople.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

In case no one recognizes its historic antecedents, here's a link to a print by 17th C. French artist Nicholas de Larmessin II from his series of depictions of fanciful costumes of tradespeople.

Link didn't work for me .. how about this and then a click to enlarge the prints ...

Nicolas Larmessin

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

On a more serious note, I wonder about some other things.

She obviously couldn't sit down all day.

Bet he didn't fill the cream puffs! Wimp!

Her crown, bouquet and necklace were made of caramelized sugar (hope she didn't sweat too much...sticky sticky sticky!)

Since the dress weighed 20 pounds, did she feel fat in it?

Did he attach the cream puffs to the wedding dress frame with caramelized sugar?

If he put the puffs on while she was modeling it, wouldn't the caramelized sugar have burned her a little?

What was her underwear made out of?

Thats what I hate about articles like this.....you never get the full story!

• 6 months later...

The link didn't work for me either but here's another one.

http://www.megnut.com/2006/10/edible-cream...f-wedding-dress

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."