• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Survey: Greatest Disappointments with NY Dining

Nathan

good traditional spanish food.

This is definitely true. I used to recommend El Cid, which was consistently good, but the last time I went there it seemed to have dropped precipitously in quality. That was about 8-10 months ago. Anyone been lately?

2.  really good Indian

I must disagree. The following are, IMHO, outstanding compared even to other regional restaurants in the US, Europe, and the Middle East:

-Saravanaas

-Devi (yes, it's frickin' expensive, but they do a great job)

-Udipi Palace in Jackson Hts

-Tamarind

-Dosa Diner (also in JH)

-Rajbhog Sweets (ditto)

-Dimple

The list goes on. IMX, Brick Lane does perfectly respectable food as well.

I know it's pretty popular to decry the quality of Indian food in NYC, but IMHO, the selection is pretty excellent. Not at London levels, but way ahead of anywhere else I can think of that's not... well, India.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Chicago

Let's just say I disagree, unless you can offer me sufficient counter-examples.

EDIT: Rather than a blanket statement, I'll add that my relatives from the Chicago area have liked Saravanaas and Tamarind (and Diwan, and old Bay Leaf) better than anything in Chicago, and I've never been wowed by the Indian fare on food visits there.

Edited by Mayur (log)

good traditional spanish food.

This is definitely true. I used to recommend El Cid, which was consistently good, but the last time I went there it seemed to have dropped precipitously in quality. That was about 8-10 months ago. Anyone been lately?

I used to love el cid too, but it's tapas, not dinner food, really. I haven't been in ages.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Hema's Kitchen

Tiffin

Sonargaon

None of which, IMX, are a match for Devi, former Amma, or Tamarind... assuming we're talking "generic north Indian." (Sonargaon, IIRC, is Bengali, as may be Hema's Kitchen; I have no real experience of that kind of food in NYC). Certainly, none of those even approaches the question of whether there's decent South Indian veg food to be had in Chicago.

Edited by Mayur (log)