• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leone's in Montclair

Deldino

We used to go there quite often. The last time, a few months back, we were disappointed. Food was good, service fair at best. Haven't been back; probably won't return. There are way too many places to try.

I took my kids and a friend of theirs in the spring to try the brick oven pizza. It was good, but the service was odd, to say the least: There were five of us, and even though the restaurant was virtually empty (I think it was about 6 pm), the hostess tried to seat us at a four-top and seemed puzzled as to why I would ask for something bigger. Then the owner (I think) was snapping at one of the waitresses within our earshot. Kind of unpleasant. Probably won't go again.

Have to admit that I don't understand the appeal of this place; in addition to the service issues I've read about and heard about over and over again, I think their prices are outrageously high for what you get. I far prefer Nauna's on Valley Road.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I was asking about Leone's beacause it was one of the few non-diner non-pub places that was open at 3pm on Sunday which due to out of town guests was the time I need to have for a lunch. Either places don't open until 4pm or in the case of Raymonds they end their brunch at 4:00pm.

The lunch is for my 70 something old mother in law and she would not want to go to a pub or diner so I was limited and then the time was a weird time on a Sunday.

Can't wait 'til 4pm? Can you go to the craft show a tad later?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

So you know- at Raymond's we end our brunch at 4:00, but our customers are welcome to stay and enjoy their meal beyond that time.

Thanks for the information JoRic. We really have enjoyed Raymonds the times we have been there for lunch and breakfast, I have not tried the brunch yet but looking forward to it.

Can't wait 'til 4pm?  Can you go to the craft show a tad later?

There is so many confusing logistics around this that it was crazy to find something. The one person has to be back at Newark Airport by 5:30 so they were going to leave straight from Montclair. But now one of the other people live in New York and they want us to come there so I think now after all this we are going to New York. Maybe walk around the Cloisters at Fort Tryon and do lunch/brunch somewhere around there.

Thanks for all your help. We always have a reason to go to Montclair since we have family there so we will be trying the Raymond's brunch in the future. In my search for this Sunday lunch/brunch I have come across many places I want to try.

Thanks again

Edited by Deldino (log)

Ah, the joys of coordinating a group outing. :raz: