• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TOP 10 all time favorite

SylvB

yeah...but that's different

or, as a good Italian friend of mine once said after trying an American pizza (NY-style) for the first time:

"this is very good. I like it. But, why do you call it pizza?"

Edited by Nathan (log)

pizza

bagels

hamburgers

Jewish deli

Italian deli

Hell, Korea by way of Mexico deli. Where else are there 4 huge deli slicers within every square 100 feet

All Japanese food except compared to Japan

Cheapass Cantonese and now Sichuan food

The 99cent hotdog/pizza poverty budget

South Indian Vegetarian food - try finding that ANYWHERE

Real Thai, Malyasian, Viet, Indonesian food

New American and bistro-style eating

Edited by raji (log)

or, as a good Italian friend of mine once said after trying an American pizza (NY-style) for the first time:

"this is very good.  I like it.  But, why do you call it pizza?"

LOL - I like that!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Daniel,

The banh mi place I always go to is "Viet-Nam Banh Mi So 1", on 389 Broome.  I'm pretty sure it's the same one you mentioned.

That was my favorite place too until Pan told me about Banh Mi Saigon Bakery (on Mott between Grand and Hester). Now I'm torn between the two. Banh Mi Saigon only does pork and chicken but they're better than the version at Viet-Nam Banh Mi So 1. Viet-Nam Banh Mi has other kinds of banh mi so it's a toss up depending on what you're in the mood for.

"this is very good.  I like it.  But, why do you call it pizza?"

The whole "real pizza is what we call focaccia thing", right?

The euros are just bitter they didn't think of it first. Took some American ingenuity!

Edited by raji (log)

Raj said:

"South Indian Vegetarian food - try finding that ANYWHERE"

try Chicago. Not only does Chi-town have the best Indian in the country...Devon Avenue is famous for having several south Indian vegetarian restaurants.

I'm serious, check it out.

google it if you don't believe me

Edited by Nathan (log)

Pastrami

Pizza

Pickles from the pickle guys on Essex

Various smoked fish from Russ & D; + their whitefish salad

Kossar's Bialys

Great burgers in bars

Fries at Balthazar

Gray's papaya hot dogs

Anything with kimchee and bacon at Momofuku

Heirloom tomatoes, corn, apples, et.al. from the Greenmarket

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Raj said:

try Chicago.  Not only does Chi-town have the best Indian in the country...Devon Avenue is famous for having several south Indian vegetarian restaurants.

Chicago does have a large enclave, and I've heard stories of Chicago's ethnic neighborhoods.

Still, maybe you aren't going to the right places in the NY metro area

Chinese food, preferably in Chinatown, although that Chinatown could be in Queens as well as Manhattan. I'm not a fan of take out food. Stir fries suffer ignoble damage. (Put good pizza in cardboard box and it suffers in terms of taste and texture as well.)

Appetizing, as a noun. Basically smoked fish and non-meat NYC Jewish specialties. Barney Greengrass on the upper west side and Russ and Daughters on the lower east side. In both cases, it's always been take out for me, Barney Greengrass serves tables.

The great Jewish traditions of bread baking have all gone downhill. There's little to be found in the way of great bagels or rye breads. Kossar's still makes bialys worth seeking out. Fortunately other bakeries have sprung up and overall, bread in NY can be great.

Top of the line dining, French or otherwise. Daniel, le Bernardin, etc. Younger talent. Blue Hill, WD-50, etc.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Raj said:

try Chicago.  Not only does Chi-town have the best Indian in the country...Devon Avenue is famous for having several south Indian vegetarian restaurants.

Chicago does have a large enclave, and I've heard stories of Chicago's ethnic neighborhoods.

I don't dispute that NY has south Indian vegetarian.

what I disputed was your proposition that it didn't exist elsewhere.

Raj said:

I don't dispute that NY has south Indian vegetarian.

what I disputed was your proposition that it didn't exist elsewhere.

It's extremely difficult to find, but where you can find a large population of South Indians, doable, not very outside of the US. My worst experience was, there wasn't 1 place in a country of 130 million, Japan, even with a decent number of Indians there. Not a single dosai. Anywhere.

Edited by raji (log)

Daniel,

The banh mi place I always go to is "Viet-Nam Banh Mi So 1", on 389 Broome.   I'm pretty sure it's the same one you mentioned.

That was my favorite place too until Pan told me about Banh Mi Saigon Bakery (on Mott between Grand and Hester). Now I'm torn between the two. Banh Mi Saigon only does pork and chicken but they're better than the version at Viet-Nam Banh Mi So 1. Viet-Nam Banh Mi has other kinds of banh mi so it's a toss up depending on what you're in the mood for.

Nice.. I will definitely have to go..

I've been living in Paris and I really miss :

A sunday morning brunch : Bagels lox etc...

PLugars steak

Chinese take out

Hot Pastrami

A good cheesecake

These things might be out of fashion these days but when you live abroad you miss the basics.

As a foodie who's visiting NYC soon, I'm curious to hear specific recommendations, with addresses.  :biggrin:

Most of these places have their own separate threads, I think, and there are also all the "THE BEST" threads - check out the linked list pinned at the top of this forum if you haven't already.

You can also start a thread asking for specific kinds of recommendations. I'm sure people will be happy to offer helpful suggestions.

Michael aka "Pan"